Win32: Open file in first existing vim as new buffer

Win32: Open file in first existing vim as new buffer

vim-8
Hi!

I'm looking for a way do force a win32 environment to do the same which drag'n
drop of a file to an existing vim does, but via command line or DDE or whatever
possibilities exist. I have recently installed MiniBufExplorer which does what I
want but so far I lack the option to open everything in an already existing
instance of vim. Only if there's none open, vim should be opened in a new
instance. Has anybody already accomplished that?

Thanks,

TME

Re: Win32: Open file in first existing vim as new buffer

Cristi BALAN

> Hi!
>
> I'm looking for a way do force a win32 environment to do the same which drag'n
> drop of a file to an existing vim does, but via command line or DDE or whatever
> possibilities exist. I have recently installed MiniBufExplorer which does what I
> want but so far I lack the option to open everything in an already existing
> instance of vim. Only if there's none open, vim should be opened in a new
> instance. Has anybody already accomplished that?
>
> Thanks,
>
> TME

Use "gvim.exe --servername FOO --remote-silent bar.baz" instead of
"gvim.exe bar.baz".

HTH

Cristi BALAN

Zitat von Cristi BALAN <[hidden email]>:

> > Hi!
> > I'm looking for a way do force a win32 environment to do the same which
> drag'n
> > drop of a file to an existing vim does, but via command line or DDE or
> whatever
> > possibilities exist. I have recently installed MiniBufExplorer which does
> what I
> > want but so far I lack the option to open everything in an already existing
> > instance of vim. Only if there's none open, vim should be opened in a new
> > instance. Has anybody already accomplished that?
>
> Use "gvim.exe --servername FOO --remote-silent bar.baz" instead of
> "gvim.exe bar.baz".
> HTH
>
> --
> Cristi BALAN

Hello!

Thanks, that worked like a charm. Is there any way to bring the gvim that the
file is being opened with to the foreground at that time? I didn't find
anything matching in startting.txt. Thanks.

TME

Re: Win32: Open file in first existing vim as new buffer

A.J.Mechelynck
Thomas Engelke wrote:
[...]
> Hello!
>
> Thanks, that worked like a charm. Is there any way to bring the gvim that the
> file is being opened with to the foreground at that time? I didn't find
> anything matching in startting.txt. Thanks.
>
> TME

See ":help foreground()"

HTH,
Tony.