WinXP - E484 Can't open file

aki y
Hello,

I'm trying to use Eclim on Windows XP. I posted this error on the
Eclim list and was referred here since it seems to be unrelated to
Eclim, but something with my Windows environment.

When I try to connect to Eclim, I get the following error:

Error detected while processing function
eclim#PingEclim..eclim#ExecuteEclim..eclim#client#nailgunExecute..eclim#util#System:
line 46:
E484: Can't open file C:\... \Local Settings\Temp\VIo9BE4.tmp
Error detected while processing function eclim#PingEclim
line 20:
E171 Missing :endif

Over on the Eclim list, Erik narrowed it down by having me run this:

> "C:\Program Files\Vim\vim72\gvim" -u NONE -U NONE

And then on the Vim command line:

:echo system('echo foo')

Then the error I get is

E484: Can't open file C:\DOCUME~1\michiaki\Local Settings\Temp
\VIo2669.tmp

Does anyone with more Windows experience than I do know what's going
on here? My account has permissions to write a regular file to the
Temp directory above.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

RE: WinXP - E484 Can't open file

JohnBeckett
aki y wrote:
> "C:\Program Files\Vim\vim72\gvim" -u NONE -U NONE
>
> And then on the Vim command line:
> :echo system('echo foo')
>
> Then the error I get is
>
> E484: Can't open file C:\DOCUME~1\michiaki\Local
> Settings\Temp \VIo2669.tmp

What is output from (not sure if this is relevant):
    :set shell?

For testing, what happens when you do this:
    :exec 'e '.tempname()

That calls tempname() to generate the name of a temp file, and
appends it to 'e ' so it will edit a temp file. Can you type
some text and save that temp file?

John

Re: WinXP - E484 Can't open file

Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov
Reply to message «RE: WinXP - E484 Can't open file»,
sent 02:25:51 23 October 2010, Saturday
by John Beckett:

> For testing, what happens when you do this:
>     :exec 'e '.tempname()
It looks like name of temporary file contains spaces, so do not try using
`tempname()' like this, it will fail. Use
    :execute "e ".fnameescape(tempname())

Re: WinXP - E484 Can't open file

aki y
Hello, thanks for the replies. I had to wait until today when I'm back
in the office to try this.

The output of ":set shell"
shell=C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe

I tried both
:exec 'e '.tempname()
and
:execute "e ".fnameescape(tempname())

suggestions above, and both seemed to work. I was able to edit the
newly created temp files.

Thanks again for any help.

On Oct 22, 7:08 pm, ZyX <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Reply to message «RE: WinXP - E484 Can't open file»,
> sent 02:25:51 23 October 2010, Saturday
> by John Beckett:
>
> > For testing, what happens when you do this:
> >     :exec 'e '.tempname()
>
> It looks like name of temporary file contains spaces, so do not try using
> `tempname()' like this, it will fail. Use
>     :execute "e ".fnameescape(tempname())
>
>  signature.asc
> < 1KViewDownload

How could I remove one line from current buffer in my vimscript?

H Xu

Hello Everyone,

How could I remove one line from current buffer in my vimscript?

Thank you.

Regards,
H Xu
2010/10/26

Re: How could I remove one line from current buffer in my vimscript?

Tim Chase
On 10/26/2010 04:51 AM, H Xu wrote:
> How could I remove one line from current buffer in my vimscript?

Without knowing which line to remove, it's hard to give specific
help, but you can use the Ex "d" command to delete the current
line in vimscript, prefix it with a line-number if you know it,
or use a pattern to find it.

   function! Del32()
     " delete the 32nd line in the file
     32d
   endfunction

   function DelFoo()
     " start on line #1 and search forward
     " for "Foo" (note that this won't find
     " Foo on line #1, but you can preserve
     " 'wrapscan', set it, and start your
     " search from line "$" instead if you
     " want to find it in the first line.
     1/Foo/d
   endfunction

Re: How could I remove one line from current buffer in my vimscript?

Benjamin R. Haskell-8
On Tue, 26 Oct 2010, Tim Chase wrote:

>  [...]
>
>  function DelFoo()
>    " start on line #1 and search forward
>    " for "Foo" (note that this won't find
>    " Foo on line #1, but you can preserve
>    " 'wrapscan', set it, and start your
>    " search from line "$" instead if you
>    " want to find it in the first line.
>    1/Foo/d
>  endfunction

You could also avoid the line-#1 issue by instead using: 0/Foo/d

--
Best,
Ben

Re: How could I remove one line from current buffer in my vimscript?

H Xu
Thanks! It works well.