Word definition includes period?

Saurabh T

Hi,

While using vim 7.4 on cygwin, I noticed that word characters include a period, for example "cw" with cursor on the f of file.html attempts to change the entire file.html rather than just file. I have LANG set to C and "se encoding" shows latin1, and there's not much in vimrc (identical to the one on Linux where this works as expected). What may be the problem here? Thanks,

saurabh

Re: Word definition includes period?

Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov

> While using vim 7.4 on cygwin, I noticed that word characters include a
> period, for example "cw" with cursor on the f of file.html attempts to
> change the entire file.html rather than just file. I have LANG set to C and
> "se encoding" shows latin1, and there's not much in vimrc (identical to the
> one on Linux where this works as expected). What may be the problem here?

$LANG is completely irrelevant, the meaning of word (what is treated
as a word character) is controlled by `&iskeyword` option. What is
worse is that there is a number of syntax and ftplugin files which
think that this is not a user setting, so this option is rather
filetype-specific.

Note that resetting it may break syntax, need to adjust syntax file to
use :syn iskeyword. If this is the case it is a bug. Note: :syn
iskeyword is relatively recent addition (7.4.1142, Jan 2016), you may
get a difference in the behaviour solely because your Vim is very
outdated (7.4 was released in Aug 2013).

Also feel free to file a bug report to ftplugin maintainer if filetype
plugin happens to alter this setting.

Do not forget to update Vim before filing any bug reports.

> Thanks,
>

> saurabh

> ---
> email to [hidden email].

Re: Word definition includes period?

Saurabh T
You're right, for some reason iskeyword has an extra . in it on the Cygwin. I was editing .bashrc at the time. It does not show up on some other file types I tried, so I'll just ignore the problem. Thanks,

saurabh

> While using vim 7.4 on cygwin, I noticed that word characters include a
> period, for example "cw" with cursor on the f of file.html attempts to
> change the entire file.html rather than just file. I have LANG set to C and
> "se encoding" shows latin1, and there's not much in vimrc (identical to the
> one on Linux where this works as expected). What may be the problem here?

$LANG is completely irrelevant, the meaning of word (what is treated
as a word character) is controlled by `&iskeyword` option. What is
worse is that there is a number of syntax and ftplugin files which
think that this is not a user setting, so this option is rather
filetype-specific.

Note that resetting it may break syntax, need to adjust syntax file to
use :syn iskeyword. If this is the case it is a bug. Note: :syn
iskeyword is relatively recent addition (7.4.1142, Jan 2016), you may
get a difference in the behaviour solely because your Vim is very
outdated (7.4 was released in Aug 2013).

Also feel free to file a bug report to ftplugin maintainer if filetype
plugin happens to alter this setting.

Do not forget to update Vim before filing any bug reports.

> Thanks,
>

> saurabh

Re: Word definition includes period?

Charles E Campbell Jr
Old problem; you need to upgrade your vim.

C Campbell