Write out error message

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Write out error message

Phil Dobbin
Hi, all.

Is there a way to write out to file or buffer the error message that
comes up bottom left above the command line when one of the installed
plugins throws an error?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

  Phil...

--
currently (ab)using
CentOS 5.9 & 6.4, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Beefy, Spherical &
That Damn Cat, Lubuntu 12.10, OS X Snow Leopard & Tiger, Ubuntu Precise,
Quantal & Raring
GnuGPG Key : http://phildobbin.org/publickey.asc

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Write out error message

David Fishburn-2

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 6:59 AM, Phil Dobbin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, all.

Is there a way to write out to file or buffer the error message that
comes up bottom left above the command line when one of the installed
plugins throws an error?


You can always see the errors later with:
:messages

And due to that, you could do something like this:

:redir @a
:messages
:redir END

That will put that content (all messages, not just errors) into your "a register.
So you can paste it into a buffer with "ap.

:redir offers other features, you can redirect to a file as well.
:redir > myfile.txt

:h :redir

You can also view the messages highlight them with your mouse and hit CTRL-Y to yank them into the system clipboard.

HTH,
David

 

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
 
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Write out error message

Phil Dobbin
On 24/05/2013 13:02, David Fishburn wrote:

>
> On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 6:59 AM, Phil Dobbin <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi, all.
>
>     Is there a way to write out to file or buffer the error message that
>     comes up bottom left above the command line when one of the installed
>     plugins throws an error?
>
>
> You can always see the errors later with:
> :messages
>
> And due to that, you could do something like this:
>
> :redir @a
> :messages
> :redir END
>
> That will put that content (all messages, not just errors) into your "a
> register.
> So you can paste it into a buffer with "ap.
>
> :redir offers other features, you can redirect to a file as well.
> :redir > myfile.txt
>
> :h :redir
>
> You can also view the messages highlight them with your mouse and hit
> CTRL-Y to yank them into the system clipboard.


Excellent, thanks David.

Cheers,

  Phil...

--
currently (ab)using
CentOS 5.9 & 6.4, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Beefy, Spherical &
That Damn Cat, Lubuntu 12.10, OS X Snow Leopard & Tiger, Ubuntu Precise,
Quantal & Raring
GnuGPG Key : http://phildobbin.org/publickey.asc


--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.