:X option

Leandro Sales
Hi all,

 I have a important file that I set a encrypt key last year... But I
forgot the key, but I need to read the file... any way to do that? I'm
using vim 6.4

Thank you,

Leandro

Re: :X option

Matthew Winn
On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 03:01:15AM -0300, Leandro Melo de Sales wrote:
> I have a important file that I set a encrypt key last year... But I
> forgot the key, but I need to read the file... any way to do that? I'm
> using vim 6.4

There used to be a product called The Cryptographer's Workbench (CWB)
(also known as The Crypt Breaker's Workbench (CBW)) that assisted with
the decyphering of files encoded with the original vi.  I don't know
whether it'll work with Vim; it depends on whether the algorithm has
changed.

I don't know where to find it; I have a copy on quarter inch tape but
no way of reading it.  The source was posted to comp.sources.unix in
the 1980s so it may be possible to find a copy somewhere.

It's not difficult to use, but it's not a "plug in the file and out
comes the plaintext" application: it performs the boring and tedious
part of cracking the encryption but the rest is up to you.

Matthew Winn ([hidden email])

Re: :X option

Leandro Sales
2006/6/7, Matthew Winn <[hidden email]>:

> On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 03:01:15AM -0300, Leandro Melo de Sales wrote:
> > I have a important file that I set a encrypt key last year... But I
> > forgot the key, but I need to read the file... any way to do that? I'm
> > using vim 6.4
>
> There used to be a product called The Cryptographer's Workbench (CWB)
> (also known as The Crypt Breaker's Workbench (CBW)) that assisted with
> the decyphering of files encoded with the original vi.  I don't know
> whether it'll work with Vim; it depends on whether the algorithm has
> changed.
>
> I don't know where to find it; I have a copy on quarter inch tape but
> no way of reading it.  The source was posted to comp.sources.unix in
> the 1980s so it may be possible to find a copy somewhere.
>
> It's not difficult to use, but it's not a "plug in the file and out
> comes the plaintext" application: it performs the boring and tedious
> part of cracking the encryption but the rest is up to you.
>
> --
> Matthew Winn ([hidden email])

OK... Thank you, I'll try it!

Leandro