Yahoogroups is closing down

Christian Brabandt
Hi,
not sure if you have noticed this (or even still uses it), but Yahoo
announced, that the Yahoogroups will be shutdown on Dec 15th, 2020.

https://uk.help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN35505.html

If I understand the implications correctly, this means the mailinglist
archive before the move to Google Groups will be lost.

@Bram,
You might want to remove the link to Yahoogroups from
https://www.vim.org/maillist.php

Best,
Christian
--
Denk Dir nur mal die Alpen weg.
Was da bleibt, ist mein Deich.

Re: Yahoogroups is closing down

Bram Moolenaar

Christian wrote:

> not sure if you have noticed this (or even still uses it), but Yahoo
> announced, that the Yahoogroups will be shutdown on Dec 15th, 2020.
>
> https://uk.help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN35505.html
>
> If I understand the implications correctly, this means the mailinglist
> archive before the move to Google Groups will be lost.
>
> @Bram,
> You might want to remove the link to Yahoogroups from
> https://www.vim.org/maillist.php

I had given up on Yahoo a long time ago.  I have attempted to make some
updates, but it refuses my login and there is no way to retrieve or
reset the password.

I don't see a way to access the archives.

87. Everyone you know asks why your phone line is always busy ...and
    you tell them to send an e-mail.

Re: Yahoogroups is closing down

Gabriele Fava
There was/is an effort to archive everything at
https://archiveteam.org/index.php?title=Yahoo!_Groups .
What has already been archived seems to be all at
https://archive.org/details/archiveteam_yahoogroups .

I wasn't able to find descriptions of the structure of the archives, but
it would seem that each has only certain groups.
And, good news, I found one that seems to include vim:
https://archive.org/details/yahoo-groups-2015-10-25T18-36-04Z-v0n5bq .
I's 1GB of stuff, I haven't been able to verify it yet but there seems
to be a good chance that it contains all the vim and vimannounce messages.
Unfortunately instead I wasn't able to find (with the archive.org search
function) any archive with vim-dev.
However there are ones for:
vim-mac:
https://archive.org/details/yahoo-groups-2016-06-08T00-19-42Z-658ea9
vim-multibyte:
https://archive.org/details/yahoo-groups-2016-05-08T09-48-08Z-ae4c80
vim-fr: https://archive.org/details/yahoo-groups-2016-05-03T19-53-03Z-e129ee

 From a quick read of archiveteam.org/index.php?title=Yahoo!_Groups it
would seem that the yahoo apis and features to easily bulk-retrieve the
messages have already been shut down.

Regards,
Gabriele

On 14/10/2020 12.04, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> Christian wrote:
>
>> not sure if you have noticed this (or even still uses it), but Yahoo
>> announced, that the Yahoogroups will be shutdown on Dec 15th, 2020.
>>
>> https://uk.help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN35505.html
>>
>> If I understand the implications correctly, this means the mailinglist
>> archive before the move to Google Groups will be lost.
>>
>> @Bram,
>> You might want to remove the link to Yahoogroups from
>> https://www.vim.org/maillist.php
> I had given up on Yahoo a long time ago.  I have attempted to make some
> updates, but it refuses my login and there is no way to retrieve or
> reset the password.
>
> I don't see a way to access the archives.

Re: Yahoogroups is closing down

Ottavio Caruso
On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 at 08:37, Christian Brabandt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> not sure if you have noticed this (or even still uses it), but Yahoo
> announced, that the Yahoogroups will be shutdown on Dec 15th, 2020.
>
> https://uk.help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN35505.html
>
> If I understand the implications correctly, this means the mailinglist
> archive before the move to Google Groups will be lost.

I don't know what can be done fo the past, but, for the future, this
is a reminder that Google can do the same in the future with Google
Groups. Maybe moving all discussions to the good old Usenet?

--
Ottavio Caruso

Re: Yahoogroups is closing down

Neal Fultz
This group is already mirrored to NNTP via gmane.io's gateway. Their archive goes back to Feb 2002.

Best,

Neal

Ottavio Caruso wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 at 08:37, Christian Brabandt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > not sure if you have noticed this (or even still uses it), but Yahoo
> > announced, that the Yahoogroups will be shutdown on Dec 15th, 2020.
> >
> > https://uk.help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN35505.html
> >
> > If I understand the implications correctly, this means the mailinglist
> > archive before the move to Google Groups will be lost.
>
> I don't know what can be done fo the past, but, for the future, this
> is a reminder that Google can do the same in the future with Google
> Groups. Maybe moving all discussions to the good old Usenet?

Google groups just got a refresh, it's very unlikely it will go away.
And if it does, Google has a good reputation of allowing for exporting
all information before shutting down.

--
From "know your smileys":
 ;-0 Can't find shift key

On Mi, 14 Okt 2020, Neal Fultz wrote:

> This group is already mirrored to NNTP via gmane.io's gateway. Their archive
> goes back to Feb 2002.

I stopped using gmane, when they shut down their web viewer. Did not
know, that they are still serving message as NNTP. However, NNTP is so
inconvenient to use for researching, if you do not have a client at
hand. A http interface with a nice to search viewer would be nice.

Best,
Christian
--
Glücklich ist, wer vergißt, was nicht aus ihm geworden ist.

On Mi, 14 Okt 2020, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> Google groups just got a refresh, it's very unlikely it will go away.
> And if it does, Google has a good reputation of allowing for exporting
> all information before shutting down.

Google has also a reputation for quickly closing popular services
unfortunately.

Best,
Christian
--
Wir haben den Kontakt zur Realität verloren!

Re: Yahoogroups is closing down

Gabriele Fava
So, in the end I found out that:

1. vim-dev is there as well (I had not found it because it was called
vimdev...), at both
https://archive.org/details/yahoo-groups-2015-10-24T23-04-12Z-gm7ncb and
https://archive.org/details/yahoo-groups-2015-10-25T04-07-44Z-dgj61p .

2. It looks like the messages are indeed included

3. All these files, which are in WARC format, are actually temporary,
the project is still in progress and they plan to upload some time in
the future versions a-la-mbox that ought to be easy to import in any
mail client; so, if anyone is interested he should check back
https://archiveteam.org/index.php?title=Yahoo!_Groups in a few months
(it currently doesn't provide up-to-date information). Or ask at
current status.

4. In case someone is still eager to search in the current WARC archives
(for whatever reason), all the most recent ones (all those starting with
"A", at
"https://archive.org/details/archiveteam_yahoogroups?and[]=&sin=&and[]=firstTitle%3AA&sort=-publicdate"
) do not include a summary of the groups they contain, so they are a lot
harder to search. If someone really wants to do it, if you extract the
https://archive.org/details/archiveteam_yahoogroups_* links included in
that page you can quickly download indexes of what urls they refer to at
https://archive.org/download/<archive>/<archive>.cdx.idx , where
<archive> is the "archiveteam_yahoogroups_*" part of the aforementioned
links.

5. For various reasons a provisionary version of the archive for vimdev
(in mbox format) has already been uploaded, at
https://mega.nz/file/VU0kBJYA#E61iJlBRwzJorqadNYeh5DajkNm61wYH-2U-GJW86DQ
. It will probably stay there only for a month or so though.

Regards,
Gabriele

Re: Yahoogroups is closing down

Richard Mitchell

On Wednesday, October 14, 2020 at 2:10:34 PM UTC-4, Christian Brabandt wrote:

On Mi, 14 Okt 2020, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> Google groups just got a refresh, it's very unlikely it will go away.
> And if it does, Google has a good reputation of allowing for exporting
> all information before shutting down.

Google has also a reputation for quickly closing popular services
unfortunately.

Google Groups should be safe then

Best,
Christian
--
Wir haben den Kontakt zur Realität verloren!