Yikes!

Mads Martin Joergensen
Did someone subscribe the vim mailinglist?

----- Forwarded message from eBay Customer Support <[hidden email]> -----

 Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 01:03:22 -0700
 From: eBay Customer Support <[hidden email]>
 To: Mads Martin Joergensen <[hidden email]>
 Subject: Re: Disabling sigsegv handler  (KMM39972410V90895L0KM)

Hello,

Thanks for writing! My name is Ryan and I'll be happy to help you today
with your question regarding Vim, a text editor.

eBay did not write this particular text editor, Vim. Regrettably we are
unable to provide any support for this editor with any accuracy. You may
want to search on the internet for this company's homepage for further
assistance.

Thanks again for writing, and thank you for being part of the eBay
community.

Regards,

Ryan N.
eBay Customer Support

----- End forwarded message -----
--
Mads Martin Joergensen, http://mmj.dk
"Why make things difficult, when it is possible to make them cryptic
 and totally illogical, with just a little bit more effort?"
                                -- A. P. J.

Re: Yikes!

A.J.Mechelynck

Re: Yikes!

Mads Martin Joergensen
* Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]> [Sep 28. 2005 11:21]:
> Welcome to the club! Maybe an ex-employee of eBay "forgot" to unsubscribe
> before losing his job... Or else it could be a new phishing method.
>
> If it bothers you, you can always blacklist [hidden email] in your
> mailer, especially if, like me, you aren't an eBay customer.

I'm compelled to just reject mail from *.ebay.com in the future.

--
Mads Martin Joergensen, http://mmj.dk
"Why make things difficult, when it is possible to make them cryptic
 and totally illogical, with just a little bit more effort?"
                                -- A. P. J.

Re: Yikes!

gregory.sacre
I've written them almost everytime I received this mail to
unsubscribe, or contact a responsible of the mailing list to remove
their mail address... it seems they don't really bother :-p

KR,

Gregory

--
Alcatel Namur
Software Engineer
Project: O2 Ireland

Re: Yikes!

Matthew Winn
On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 11:21:20AM +0200, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
> Welcome to the club! Maybe an ex-employee of eBay "forgot" to unsubscribe
> before losing his job... Or else it could be a new phishing method.

How many different wordings are there?  My latest one said:

    Hello,

    Thank you for writing eBay.  My name is Darren and I appreciate the
    chance to help you.

    I am sorry I don't have information on best place to find that item if
    haven't found that with keyword searches on eBay for the item.

    Thank you for using eBay.

If the wording is different each time it suggests that the senders are
real people and not robots, although if they still haven't grasped the
idea that their account has been subscribed to a mailing list they might
as well be robots.

(Nice of him to thank me for writing eBay, though.  I'll be sending them
my invoice presently.)

Matthew Winn ([hidden email])

RE: Yikes!

Hugo Ahlenius-2
Even more weird -- I got a follow up e-mail from some company
(benchmarkportal.com) that was set to evaluate ebay support's performance:

"BenchmarkPortal is an official partner of eBay and is conducting
independent customer satisfaction surveys at the request of eBay.
On 09/25/05, Mardi K. replied to the email message you sent to eBay Customer
Support. As part of eBay's commitment to excellence, we want to make sure
your needs were met. Would you please take a few minutes to answer some
questions to let us know how we did?"

--
Hugo Ahlenius
fraxinus (at) oxel.net

Re: Yikes!

Dominic Evans
I think you should reply to them saying yes you'd be willing to answer
their questions. Then tell them in no uncertain terms they are wasting
valuable hours answering e-mails that have clearly been accidentally
forwarded on to ebay support :/