accented characters in the command line

luis jure
hello fellow vimers,

i write mostly in spanish, and i can't enter accented characters (?????) in
the command line when using gvim. i don't have this problem when using vim
in text mode or a virtual console. i'm using vim 6.3 on linux.

if anyone could tell me what i'm doing wrong it would be a great help,
because now it's difficult for me to make global substitutions.

best,

lj

Re: **SPAM** accented characters in the command line

A.J.Mechelynck
> i write mostly in spanish, and i can't enter accented characters (?????)
> in
> the command line when using gvim. i don't have this problem when using vim
> in text mode or a virtual console. i'm using vim 6.3 on linux.
>
> if anyone could tell me what i'm doing wrong it would be a great help,
> because now it's difficult for me to make global substitutions.
>
> best,
>
> lj

IMHO Vim should recognise the same characters the same way everywhere, but
if it doesn't, you can use digraphs (see ":help digraph.txt"): each
"special" character is obtained by Ctrl-K followed by a two-character code.

Examples:

    ^K?I    gives    ?
    ^K!I    gives    ?
    ^Ka'    gives    ?
    ^Ke'    gives    ?
    ^Ki'    gives    ?
    ^Ko'    gives    ?
    ^Ku'    gives    ?
    ^Kn?    gives    ?

In summary: add I to invert an exclamation or question mark, add an
apostrophe for an acute accent, add a question mark for a tilde. There are
others, which don't happen in Spanish IIRC.

You might also want to check your mappings for discrepancies between
Insert-mode and Command-line-mode for those characters.

HTH,

RE: **SPAM** accented characters in the command line

David Fishburn
 Tony,

If your spam software identified an email as a potential piece of spam,
which turns out it is not, could you please remove **SPAM** from the subject
line.  This is a courtesy to the orginal poster.  Some people may not read
these messages thinking they might be spam related or someone ranting about
spam.

That is of course, if your email program allows you to change the subject,
which of course it should.

Dave

OT: Spam detection (Was: accented characters in the command line)

A.J.Mechelynck
> If your spam software identified an email as a potential piece of spam,
> which turns out it is not, could you please remove **SPAM** from the
> subject
> line.  This is a courtesy to the orginal poster.  Some people may not read
> these messages thinking they might be spam related or someone ranting
> about
> spam.
>
> That is of course, if your email program allows you to change the subject,
> which of course it should.
>
> Dave

Oops, yes, I noticed it too late, after my reply had been sent.

My spam software checks several "reasons" why an email could be spam;
sometimes there is a "false positive" as when the email comes from a dynamic
IP adress which has been recently used (probably by someone else) to send
spam. If the "To or CC" lines include @vim.org, my email rules disregard the
spam warning, but sometimes I forget to remove that spam warning from the
Subject. I try not to, but people are fallible.

Notes:
* As I had to revert to using Outlook Express (for reasons having to do with
memory space, virtual and otherwise), I have to check the Subject: header
and not the X-SpamPal: header, which Thunderbird (but not OE) could use.
* I use auto-whitelisting, so that someone "to whom" I wrote won't be
detected as a spammer.

Best regards,
Tony

RE: Spam detection (Was: accented characters in the command line)

Keith W. Roberts

On this subject ... there are some OE plugins:

OE-Quotefix, for example, cleans up a good bit of the quoted inclusions
which OE doesn't always handle well, and

Cubicle-vim is a vim plugin for using vim to edit emails from inside of OE.

The reason I bring these up is that it shouldn't be too hard to make an OE
plugin (now that the groundwork is done :) to automatically remove the
**SPAM** from the subject line of emails you reply to.  I wouldn't mind
diving into this myself, except that with a brand new job I just don't have
time for extra-curricular activities. :(  [note the new sig]

--
Keith W. Roberts
Management Information Tools, Inc.