all of your vo_base.vim are belong to.. whom ?

all of your vo_base.vim are belong to.. whom ?

David J Patrick-2
In poking around themes and schemes and stuff, I see vo_base.vim in
almost every ~/.vim sub directory. That CAN'T be right!

Is there actually more than one (and I'm using the Bill Powell version)
and where should it (they) go ?

Noel offered a naming convention change, is vo_base_syntax.vim a better
name (presuming that's where it goes) ?
djp

Re: all of your vo_base.vim are belong to.. whom ?

Noel Henson
David,

I have looked into individual names but vim doesn't work that way. Vim
expects all files (syntax, functions, indentation, etc.) to have the same
name. They are located in different directories based on their contents and
function. So if a .c file is loaded, the c syntax file is loaded from
syntax/c.vim, indentation is loaded from indent/c.vim, filetype is loaded
from ftplugin/c.vim, etc.

It's a vim thing.

Noel

On Thursday 22 October 2009, David J Patrick wrote:

> In poking around themes and schemes and stuff, I see vo_base.vim in
> almost every ~/.vim sub directory. That CAN'T be right!
>
> Is there actually more than one (and I'm using the Bill Powell version)
> and where should it (they) go ?
>
> Noel offered a naming convention change, is vo_base_syntax.vim a better
> name (presuming that's where it goes) ?
> djp

Re: all of your vo_base.vim are belong to.. whom ?

Steve Litt
On Thursday 22 October 2009 14:18:14 David J Patrick wrote:
> In poking around themes and schemes and stuff, I see vo_base.vim in
> almost every ~/.vim sub directory. That CAN'T be right!

It's right. They're three different files with the same filename but in different
directories.

> Is there actually more than one (and I'm using the Bill Powell version)
> and where should it (they) go ?

IIRC in ~/.vim/ftplugin, ~/.vim/ftdetect and ~/.vim/syntax.

> Noel offered a naming convention change, is vo_base_syntax.vim a better
> name (presuming that's where it goes) ?

One vitally important thing to remember -- we have a very strict naming
convention that every VimOutliner file begin with vo_ (vee oh underscore). That
must always be true, or else uninstall becomes very problematic, as does
troubleshooting. This naming convention was hammered out when we transitioned
from the single tree VO to the Vim Plugin VO, so as to keep the uninstall and
troubleshooting ease of the single tree VO.

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US

Noel Henson wrote:
> David,
>
> I have looked into individual names but vim doesn't work that way.

Alright I can deal with that, but riddle me this; what of the whole raft
of files in /usr/share/vim/ as opposed to ~/.vim/ ? They are in play,
too, aren't they (with their various vo_base.vim files) in total, I seem
to have about nine of them!

must.. simplify..

On Thursday 22 October 2009 23:56:23 David J Patrick wrote:
> Noel Henson wrote:
> > David,
> >
> > I have looked into individual names but vim doesn't work that way.
>
> Alright I can deal with that, but riddle me this; what of the whole raft
> of files in /usr/share/vim/ as opposed to ~/.vim/ ? They are in play,
> too, aren't they (with their various vo_base.vim files) in total, I seem
> to have about nine of them!

David -- those are ghosts of installations past. The standard install from the
VimOutliner project puts all the stuff in the ~/.vim tree, the ~/.vimoutliner
tree, ~/.vimrc and ~/.vimoutlinerrc.

If you installed using a package, all bets are off.