already at oldest change - how to suppress this message

already at oldest change - how to suppress this message

Jim Wilmore
   I recently got a new laptop, so I decided I would install gvim80 after using gvim73 for many years.
   As an old Unix user from the 70s onward, I have quite a lot of customization, and when I discovered Gvim, my customization quadrupled.
   I finally have my new machine running gvim about the same as before. I had to set the guifont, but most everything else worked out. However, I keep getting the message "Already at oldest change" when I open a file. I am guessing this is related either to version control (which I handle independently when I need it) or some sort of temporary backup file (which I have turned off, at least in previous customizations).
   How do I turn off this message?!? I have browsed through the possible settings, and have found nothing yet. Help, please...

Re: already at oldest change - how to suppress this message

Christian Brabandt
Hi Jim!

On Mo, 24 Apr 2017, Jim Wilmore wrote:

>    I recently got a new laptop, so I decided I would install gvim80 after using gvim73 for many years.
>    As an old Unix user from the 70s onward, I have quite a lot of customization, and when I discovered Gvim, my customization quadrupled.
>    I finally have my new machine running gvim about the same as before. I had to set the guifont, but most everything else worked out. However, I keep getting the message "Already at oldest change" when I open a file. I am guessing this is related either to version control (which I handle independently when I need it) or some sort of temporary backup file (which I have turned off, at least in previous customizations).
>    How do I turn off this message?!? I have browsed through the possible settings, and have found nothing yet. Help, please...

Looks like some configuration is issuing an undo command when it
shouldn't. Check your autocommands or your plugins. Also see the faq:
https://vimhelp.appspot.com/vim_faq.txt.html#faq-2.5

Best,
Christian
--
Ich bin bereit überall hinzugehen, wenn es nur vorwärts ist.
                -- David Livingstone

Re: already at oldest change - how to suppress this message

Tony Mechelynck
On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 10:18 AM, Christian Brabandt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jim!
>
> On Mo, 24 Apr 2017, Jim Wilmore wrote:
>
>>    I recently got a new laptop, so I decided I would install gvim80 after using gvim73 for many years.
>>    As an old Unix user from the 70s onward, I have quite a lot of customization, and when I discovered Gvim, my customization quadrupled.
>>    I finally have my new machine running gvim about the same as before. I had to set the guifont, but most everything else worked out. However, I keep getting the message "Already at oldest change" when I open a file. I am guessing this is related either to version control (which I handle independently when I need it) or some sort of temporary backup file (which I have turned off, at least in previous customizations).
>>    How do I turn off this message?!? I have browsed through the possible settings, and have found nothing yet. Help, please...
>
> Looks like some configuration is issuing an undo command when it
> shouldn't. Check your autocommands or your plugins. Also see the faq:
> https://vimhelp.appspot.com/vim_faq.txt.html#faq-2.5
>

> Best,
> Christian

Yes, "Already at oldest change" is a message from the Normal-mode u
(undo) command or the :u[ndo] Ex-command when they can't do anything
because there is no earlier stored history for them to go to. I find
that message extremely useful when I try to (manually) go back in
history and nothing happens.

See also the 'history' and 'viminfo' options.