blowfish + salt

Chris Sutcliffe-2
Hi All,

I encrypted a file using the blowfish option 'cryptmethod=1' prior to
'salt' being added.  I've updated my source repository this morning
and have recompiled vim (with the 'salt' addition) and now the file
won't unencrypt.  Is there  a way to recover the file, or is the
contents lost?

Thank you,

Chris

--
Chris Sutcliffe
http://emergedesktop.org

Re: blowfish + salt

Nazri Ramliy
On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 7:34 PM, Chris Sutcliffe > I encrypted a file
using the blowfish option 'cryptmethod=1' prior to
> 'salt' being added.  I've updated my source repository this morning
> and have recompiled vim (with the 'salt' addition) and now the file
> won't unencrypt.  Is there  a way to recover the file, or is the
> contents lost?

You could look at the changeset history, checkout the one that has no
salting and recompile vim at that revision and see if that solves the
problem.

Failing that, you could 'backtrack' your vim repo one changeset at a
time, compile vim again and open the encrypted file and inspect its
content.

With a bit of scripting you might be able to automate this.

nazri.

Re: blowfish + salt

Chris Sutcliffe wrote:

> I encrypted a file using the blowfish option 'cryptmethod=1' prior to
> 'salt' being added.  I've updated my source repository this morning
> and have recompiled vim (with the 'salt' addition) and now the file
> won't unencrypt.  Is there  a way to recover the file, or is the
> contents lost?

Sorry, I forgot to send out a warning about this change.

You can recover your file by going back to the version you used before.
Just checkout from Mercurial with the right tag (one week ago should
work) and build Vim.

So you have to store your file unencrypted (or using cryptmethod set to
zero), build the new version and crypt it again.

I'm working on also crypting the swap file, so that no unencrypted text
ends up intentionally written to disk.  Swapping memory to disk might
still happen, but that's very difficult to recover.

202. You're amazed to find out Spam is a food.