cant access second screen in split screen

cant access second screen in split screen

gp-5
Whenever I issue the split screen "sp" command I get
the two screens each containing a different file but I
am unable to click into the second screen the cursor
stays only in the top screen. This problem only
recently started, can anyone help me with resolving
this issue.

Thanks

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: cant access second screen in split screen

Charles E Campbell Jr
GP wrote:

>Whenever I issue the split screen "sp" command I get
>the two screens each containing a different file but I
>am unable to click into the second screen the cursor
>stays only in the top screen.

What does    :echo &mouse   show?  Are you using gvim or vim, BTW?

Does   :set mouse=a   help?

Regards,
Chip Campbell

Re: cant access second screen in split screen

Tim Chase-2
> Whenever I issue the split screen "sp" command I get the two
> screens each containing a different file but I am unable to
> click into the second screen the cursor stays only in the top
> screen. This problem only recently started, can anyone help me
> with resolving this issue.

If you're just using vim (not "gvim") in a console, it may not be
mouse-aware.  You don't mention whether you're using vim or gvim,
and if so, on what platform.  If in a vanilla console, you might
need gpm (Linux) or wconsole (OpenBSD), or if it's running in an
xterm, your build may need to have both support for it (be built
with the +mouse_xterm option) and have the right setting for the
'ttymouse' option

        :help ttymouse

If, however, you don't have an addiction to the rodent, read on :)

Vim does provide rich functionality for manipulating and
navigating windows with the keyboard.  As a matter of fact, I
can't remember the last time I used the mouse to navigate windows
in vim. :)

For simple navigation, you can use ^W^W (that's ctrl+W ctrl+W) to
rotate through your open windows, or ^W followed by h/j/k/l to
navigate to the window in that direction.  ^Wt and ^Wb go to the
top window and bottom window respectively.  The help offers
plenty of other tips under

        :help windows.txt

and more specifically regarding moving between windows,

        :help window-move-cursor

Hope this helps.

Re: cant access second screen in split screen

gp-5

thanks the set mouse=a command worked, by the way it
was vim on redhat linux.

--- "Charles E. Campbell, Jr."