cinoptions

Mark Volkmann-2
I want to set cinoptions so the following JavaScript function gets the indentation shown.

function foo(a, b,
  c, d) {
  return (a + b) / (c + d);
}

Setting cinoptions to (1s gets me close, but the last two lines get indented by one extra shiftwidth. I want the indentation of lines 3 and 4 to be based on the beginning of the function on line 1, not the opening brace on line 2. Is this possible?

--
R. Mark Volkmann
Object Computing, Inc.

Re: cinoptions

Gary Johnson-4
On 2014-11-16, Mark Volkmann wrote:

> I want to set cinoptions so the following JavaScript function gets the
> indentation shown.
>
> function foo(a, b,
>   c, d) {
>   return (a + b) / (c + d);
> }
>
> Setting cinoptions to (1s gets me close, but the last two lines get indented by
> one extra shiftwidth. I want the indentation of lines 3 and 4 to be based on
> the beginning of the function on line 1, not the opening brace on line 2. Is
> this possible?

When I

    :set cinoptions=(1s

I get your desired result.  Do you have some other 'cinoptions'
value(s) set as well?

Regards,
Gary

Re: cinoptions

Mark Volkmann-2
On Sunday, November 16, 2014 9:38:18 PM UTC-6, Gary Johnson wrote:

> On 2014-11-16, Mark Volkmann wrote:
> > I want to set cinoptions so the following JavaScript function gets the
> > indentation shown.
> >
> > function foo(a, b,
> >   c, d) {
> >   return (a + b) / (c + d);
> > }
> >
> > Setting cinoptions to (1s gets me close, but the last two lines get indented by
> > one extra shiftwidth. I want the indentation of lines 3 and 4 to be based on
> > the beginning of the function on line 1, not the opening brace on line 2. Is
> > this possible?
>
> When I
>
>     :set cinoptions=(1s
>
> I get your desired result.  Do you have some other 'cinoptions'
> value(s) set as well?
>
> Regards,
> Gary

This is really weird! It is working the way I want on one Mac, but not on another. On both machines I can enter :set cinoptions in Vim and they both output this:
cinoptions=(1s,j1,J1

I don't know why I'm getting different results on the two machines.

I only set cinoptions to (1s in my .vimrc. I don't know where the j1,J1 part is coming from.

Re: cinoptions

Christian Brabandt
Am 2014-11-17 18:22, schrieb Mark Volkmann:

> This is really weird! It is working the way I want on one Mac, but not
> on another. On both machines I can enter :set cinoptions in Vim and
> they both output this:
> cinoptions=(1s,j1,J1
>
> I don't know why I'm getting different results on the two machines.
>
> I only set cinoptions to (1s in my .vimrc. I don't know where the
> j1,J1 part is coming from.

Make sure to also check the patchlevel.

Best,
Christian

Re: cinoptions

Ethan Hereth

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 12:22 PM, Mark Volkmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sunday, November 16, 2014 9:38:18 PM UTC-6, Gary Johnson wrote:
> On 2014-11-16, Mark Volkmann wrote:
> > I want to set cinoptions so the following JavaScript function gets the
> > indentation shown.
> >
> > function foo(a, b,
> >   c, d) {
> >   return (a + b) / (c + d);
> > }
> >
> > Setting cinoptions to (1s gets me close, but the last two lines get indented by
> > one extra shiftwidth. I want the indentation of lines 3 and 4 to be based on
> > the beginning of the function on line 1, not the opening brace on line 2. Is
> > this possible?
>
> When I
>
>     :set cinoptions=(1s
>
> I get your desired result.  Do you have some other 'cinoptions'
> value(s) set as well?
>
> Regards,
> Gary

This is really weird! It is working the way I want on one Mac, but not on another. On both machines I can enter :set cinoptions in Vim and they both output this:
cinoptions=(1s,j1,J1

I don't know why I'm getting different results on the two machines.

I only set cinoptions to (1s in my .vimrc. I don't know where the j1,J1 part is coming from.

run the command ':verbose set cinoptions' to see where it is last set. There is probably a plugin that is setting it after you do.

Re: cinoptions

Mark Volkmann-2
Thanks Christian and Ethan! I was running a slightly different version of Vim on each machine. I updated the one that wasn't working the way I expected using homebrew and now it works!