colors missing in rgb.txt?

Renato Fabbri
The colors in :h gui-colors, but not in
rgb.txt are: ['LightRed', 'LightMagenta', 'DarkYellow']
Any idea on how to find these RGB values from the system
(i.e. without using a color picker)?

There is no light red, for example, in $VIMRUNTIME/rgb.txt

Although the color exists.
E.g.: hi Normal guibg=lightred
is ok.

I found light red in source tree src/terminal.c
with RGB: 255 64 64,
which does not correspond to the color applied
(found 255 140 140 in a color picker, and if I do
:hi Normal guibg=#ff8b8b, it stays the same.)

Re: colors missing in rgb.txt?

Christian Brabandt

On Mo, 08 Jan 2018, Renato Fabbri wrote:

> The colors in :h gui-colors, but not in
> rgb.txt are: ['LightRed', 'LightMagenta', 'DarkYellow']
> Any idea on how to find these RGB values from the system
> (i.e. without using a color picker)?
>
> There is no light red, for example, in $VIMRUNTIME/rgb.txt
>
> Although the color exists.
> E.g.: hi Normal guibg=lightred
> is ok.
>
> I found light red in source tree src/terminal.c
> with RGB: 255 64 64,
> which does not correspond to the color applied
> (found 255 140 140 in a color picker, and if I do
> :hi Normal guibg=#ff8b8b, it stays the same.)

IIRC, rgb.txt came from the X11 Server sources and those colors were not
defined there.

Anyhow, I cannot find it in the X11 Server source and in some commits
they removed all references to that file. So it might no longer exist in
a maintained form.

As for LightRed, LightMagenta and DarkYellow, those colors are defined
in src/term.c:

    {(char_u *)"darkyellow", RGB(0x8B, 0x8B, 0x00)}, /* No X11 */
    {(char_u *)"lightmagenta", RGB(0xFF, 0x8B, 0xFF)}, /* No X11 */
    {(char_u *)"lightred", RGB(0xFF, 0x8B, 0x8B)}, /* No X11 */

Best,
Christian
--
Heutzutage kennen die Leute den Preis von allem und den Wert von
nichts.

Re: colors missing in rgb.txt?

Boyko Bantchev
The Wikipedia article titled "X11 color names"

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X11_color_names

says w.r.t. the so called "X11 colours" the following:

    "Color names are not standardized by Xlib or the X11 protocol.
     The list does not show continuity either in selected color
     values or in color names, and some color triplets have multiple
     names. Despite this, graphic designers and others got used to
     them, making it practically impossible to introduce a different
     list."

The article also lists those colours.

The X11 colour list has been adopted in both SVG and CSS.

As for the three specific colour names LightRed, LightMagenta and
DarkYellow, they are apparently not part of the X11 list.  They are
mentioned in neither the Wikipedia article nor in any of

    http://w3.org/TR/SVG/types.html#ColorKeywords
    http://w3.org/TR/css3-color/#svg-color
    http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/app/rgb/tree/rgb.txt

They are also absent from /usr/share/X11/rgb.txt on my system.

Perhaps it is better to avoid these names and use standard ones
with the same or similar values.

On 9 January 2018 at 08:55, Christian Brabandt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mo, 08 Jan 2018, Renato Fabbri wrote:
>
>> The colors in :h gui-colors, but not in
>> rgb.txt are: ['LightRed', 'LightMagenta', 'DarkYellow']
>> Any idea on how to find these RGB values from the system
>> (i.e. without using a color picker)?
>>
>> There is no light red, for example, in $VIMRUNTIME/rgb.txt
>>
>> Although the color exists.
>> E.g.: hi Normal guibg=lightred
>> is ok.
>>
>> I found light red in source tree src/terminal.c
>> with RGB: 255 64 64,
>> which does not correspond to the color applied
>> (found 255 140 140 in a color picker, and if I do
>> :hi Normal guibg=#ff8b8b, it stays the same.)
>
> IIRC, rgb.txt came from the X11 Server sources and those colors were not
> defined there.
>
> Anyhow, I cannot find it in the X11 Server source and in some commits
> they removed all references to that file. So it might no longer exist in
> a maintained form.
>
> As for LightRed, LightMagenta and DarkYellow, those colors are defined
> in src/term.c:
>

>     {(char_u *)"darkyellow",    RGB(0x8B, 0x8B, 0x00)}, /* No X11 */
>     {(char_u *)"lightmagenta",  RGB(0xFF, 0x8B, 0xFF)}, /* No X11 */
>     {(char_u *)"lightred",      RGB(0xFF, 0x8B, 0x8B)}, /* No X11 */
>

> Best,
> Christian
> --
> Heutzutage kennen die Leute den Preis von allem und den Wert von
> nichts.
>                 -- Horst Stern

> ---

Re: colors missing in rgb.txt?

Erik Christiansen
On 09.01.18 07:55, Christian Brabandt wrote:
> IIRC, rgb.txt came from the X11 Server sources and those colors were not
> defined there.
>
> Anyhow, I cannot find it in the X11 Server source and in some commits
> they removed all references to that file. So it might no longer exist in
> a maintained form.

On my slightly dated debian install:

$ diff -w /home/src/vim/runtime/rgb.txt /usr/share/X11/rgb.txt
1c1
< ! $XConsortium: rgb.txt,v 10.41 94/02/20 18:39:36 rws Exp $
---
> ! $Xorg: rgb.txt,v 1.3 2000/08/17 19:54:00 cpqbld Exp $
477a478
> 215   7  81           DebianRed

$ wc -l /home/src/vim/runtime/rgb.txt /usr/share/X11/rgb.txt
  753 /home/src/vim/runtime/rgb.txt
  754 /usr/share/X11/rgb.txt

So 752 of 752 colours are identical in name an hue, from 1994 to a
couple of years ago. (Most likely till today, too.)

On 09.01.18 10:07, Boyko Bantchev wrote:

> The Wikipedia article titled "X11 color names"
>
>     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X11_color_names
>
> says w.r.t. the so called "X11 colours" the following:
>
>     "Color names are not standardized by Xlib or the X11 protocol.
>      The list does not show continuity either in selected color
>      values or in color names, and some color triplets have multiple
>      names. Despite this, graphic designers and others got used to
>      them, making it practically impossible to introduce a different
>      list."

Providing multiple names for a particular shading is the technique for
merging colour lists from multiple vendors into a common standard, and
for allowing American dialect spelling of grey in addition to English.

The article's uncertainty over continuity is difficult to credit. I have
been using DarkSlateGrey, wheat3, and a few others since SunOS 4.1.3 in
around 1990, through SolarisX86, and now various linux distros. I
recognise a lot of the colours from 1990, such as the goldenrod
variants, salmon, chocolate, and all the greys.

That is confirmed in the third paragraph of the article cited above:
"Approximately the full list as is available today shipped with X11R4 on
29 January 1989, ..."

I can't comment on vim's private colour names - I wouldn't know how
to invoke them, as I do all my colour setting in the xterm.

Erik