combined keys don't work with 8.2

Jacky Liu
I'm using xterm and with 8.1 all combined keys including meta-leading keys work perfectly, unfortunately it's not the case with 8.2, even Ctrl-r inputing virtue keys doesn't work, neither do meta keys. With gnome term Ctrl-r works, but not meta keys. The pop-up window 8.2 offers can be very useful, can developers please fix this? I'm ready to provide more details if needed, thanks.

combined keys don't work with 8.2

Jacky Liu
I'm talking about the input mode. I'm using these key mappings to move the cursor under the input mode:

inoremap  <M-i>  <Up>
inoremap  <M-k>  <Down>
inoremap  <M-j>  <Left>
inoremap  <M-l>  <Right>
inoremap  <M-u>  <C-Left>
inoremap  <M-o>  <C-Right>

These mappings work perfectly with 8.1, They just move the cursor and don't change the text. To my surprise, If you press the arrow keys under the input mode, Then vim would interpret them as the escape-leading sequences and resulting in the text being changed.

Now with 8.2 vim would always interpret the arrow keys as the escape-leading sequences. I think if it's possible to avoid such behaviour with key mappings (like with 8.1), It surely would be preferable.

combined keys don't work with 8.2

Jacky Liu
And since I'm using the 8.1 and 8.2 in the same terminal (xterm), I'm assuming the inconsistency is with vim, not the terminal.

Re: combined keys don't work with 8.2

Jacky Liu wrote:

> I'm talking about the input mode. I'm using these key mappings to move the cursor under the input mode:
>
> inoremap  <M-i>  <Up>
> inoremap  <M-k>  <Down>
> inoremap  <M-j>  <Left>
> inoremap  <M-l>  <Right>
> inoremap  <M-u>  <C-Left>
> inoremap  <M-o>  <C-Right>
>
> These mappings work perfectly with 8.1, They just move the cursor and don't change the text. To my surprise, If you press the arrow keys under the input mode, Then vim would interpret them as the escape-leading sequences and resulting in the text being changed.
>
> Now with 8.2 vim would always interpret the arrow keys as the escape-leading sequences. I think if it's possible to avoid such behaviour with key mappings (like with 8.1), It surely would be preferable.

Please check out ":help modifyOtherkeys".  You may have to use something
else thatn <M-x>, perhaps <M-S-x>.  If you can't figure it out, you can
disable modifyOtherkeys and see if it works then.

--
"Hit any key to continue" it said, but nothing happened after F sharp.

Re: combined keys don't work with 8.2

Jacky Liu
Thanks Bram. I'm using the Gui version for now. Please note that in my case (ubuntu OS, xterm + 8.2), actually every key with a modifier won't work under input mode, including C-v, C-S-v. Even when the 'esckeys' option is turned off, pressing those combined keys instantly quits the input mode. This is not the case with gnome terminal, or xterm+8.1.

Probably wait for more reports. See if others have this issue as well.

Re: combined keys don't work with 8.2

Jacky Liu
Sorry, I made a mistake in my original post. It should be Ctrl-v not Ctrl-r. Although Ctrl-r would quit the input mode as well.