compile gvimext.dll in Cygwin?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

compile gvimext.dll in Cygwin?

Steve Hall-4

Can gvimext.dll be compiled in cygwin? There is a Make_bc5.mak and
Make_ming.mak, but no Make_cyg.mak. And Makefile doesn't work, I get
"Makefile:11: *** missing separator. Stop"

I thought I'd had success with this before but maybe I'm mistaken.

--
Steve Hall  [ digitect mindspring com ]



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: compile gvimext.dll in Cygwin?

A.J.Mechelynck
Steve Hall wrote:
> Can gvimext.dll be compiled in cygwin? There is a Make_bc5.mak and
> Make_ming.mak, but no Make_cyg.mak. And Makefile doesn't work, I get
> "Makefile:11: *** missing separator. Stop"
>
> I thought I'd had success with this before but maybe I'm mistaken.
>
Gvimext.dll is compliled as one of the targets of src/Make_cyg.mak.
Using the target "all" in that makefile compiles the following:

* one Vim executable (which one depends on the settings for GUI= and
DEBUG= ).
* xxd/xxd.exe
* vimrun.exe
* install.exe
* uninstal.exe
* GvimExt/GvimExt.dll

The latter one is "subcontracted" to gvimext/Make_ming.mak.


HTH,
Tony.

P.S. I guess the vim-dev list, not the Vim list, would be a better place
for this thread.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: compile gvimext.dll in Cygwin?

Edward L. Fox
Hi Steve,

I don't know why you want to compile gvimext.dll in cygwin. I'm not using
Windoze for days, but so far as I know, gvimext.dll is a shell extension for
Windoze Explorer. It privides a context menu when you right-click a file,
showing "Open with VIM..." and some other menu items.

In most cases, gvim for cygwin is not available for the other Windoze based
applications, so I think gvimext.dll has no use at all. So just leave it alone
and live a happy life. :-)

If there is anything mistake in my reply, please correct me. As I'm not using
cygwin for long.


Regards,

Edward L. Fox


2005/10/4, A. J. Mechelynck <[hidden email]>:

> Steve Hall wrote:
> > Can gvimext.dll be compiled in cygwin? There is a Make_bc5.mak and
> > Make_ming.mak, but no Make_cyg.mak. And Makefile doesn't work, I get
> > "Makefile:11: *** missing separator. Stop"
> >
> > I thought I'd had success with this before but maybe I'm mistaken.
> >
> Gvimext.dll is compliled as one of the targets of src/Make_cyg.mak.
> Using the target "all" in that makefile compiles the following:
>
> * one Vim executable (which one depends on the settings for GUI= and
> DEBUG= ).
> * xxd/xxd.exe
> * vimrun.exe
> * install.exe
> * uninstal.exe
> * GvimExt/GvimExt.dll
>
> The latter one is "subcontracted" to gvimext/Make_ming.mak.
>
>
> HTH,
> Tony.
>
> P.S. I guess the vim-dev list, not the Vim list, would be a better place
> for this thread.
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: compile gvimext.dll in Cygwin?

A.J.Mechelynck
Edward L. Fox wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> I don't know why you want to compile gvimext.dll in cygwin. I'm not using
> Windoze for days, but so far as I know, gvimext.dll is a shell extension for
> Windoze Explorer. It privides a context menu when you right-click a file,
> showing "Open with VIM..." and some other menu items.
>
> In most cases, gvim for cygwin is not available for the other Windoze based
> applications, so I think gvimext.dll has no use at all. So just leave it alone
> and live a happy life. :-)
>
> If there is anything mistake in my reply, please correct me. As I'm not using
> cygwin for long.
>
>
> Regards,
>
> Edward L. Fox


He wants to compile gvimext _using_ cygwin, not _for_ cygwin, just like
I _use_ cygwin to produce Vim executables which don't need cygwin to
run. (Make_cyg.mak uses cygwin gcc as a kind of "cross-compiler" to
produce non-cygwin Windows executables.)

Steve and I are more-or-less in the same business (compiling Vim for the
users at large), except my 6.3 distribution is a zipped add-on to Bram's
(or someone's), and Steve makes a full-fledged self-installer.

This thread really belongs in the vim-dev list.


Best regards,
Tony.