compiling Vim 6.3 for Sun Workshop

Leonardo Francalanci-2
hi,

I compiled vim 6.3 using following instructions from:
http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/workshop.html

Vim compiles, I can run it, but I can't start it from Workshop. Every
time I try I get the message window "Launching gvim" but nothing else.
I thought I did everything correctly (compiling and installing). Is
there any log I can read to see what's wrong? Or anything else I can do?
The version shipped with workshop (5.3) works, but it's so old!

Thank you in advance

Re: compiling Vim 6.3 for Sun Workshop

Gareth Oakes-2
You have probably already checked, but the first thing I normally look
at in these circumstances is to see if the permissions and ownership
allow Workshop to run the files :)

I don't know where logs would end up, sorry.

Cheers,
-G

PS. you could also test by making a simple shell script that creates a
sample file somewhere (eg. /var).  Put it in the same directory as your
vim, give it the same permissions and ownership and see if the sample
file gets made.

Leonardo Francalanci wrote:

> hi,
>
> I compiled vim 6.3 using following instructions from:
> http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/workshop.html
>
> Vim compiles, I can run it, but I can't start it from Workshop. Every
> time I try I get the message window "Launching gvim" but nothing else.
> I thought I did everything correctly (compiling and installing). Is
> there any log I can read to see what's wrong? Or anything else I can do?
> The version shipped with workshop (5.3) works, but it's so old!
>

> Thank you in advance

Re: compiling Vim 6.3 for Sun Workshop

Leonardo Francalanci-2
I've already checked...

I've found on http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~chiuk/sys_admin/install_notes/vim/

"To get Workshop to use this, set the ESERVE*defaultGVimPath resource to
the path to gvim"

What is the "ESERVE*defaultGVimPath resource"????

> You have probably already checked, but the first thing I normally look
> at in these circumstances is to see if the permissions and ownership
> allow Workshop to run the files :)
>
> I don't know where logs would end up, sorry.
>
> Cheers,
> -G
>
> PS. you could also test by making a simple shell script that creates a
> sample file somewhere (eg. /var).  Put it in the same directory as your
> vim, give it the same permissions and ownership and see if the sample
> file gets made.

Re: compiling Vim 6.3 for Sun Workshop

Leonardo Francalanci-2
Thank you, found and set it, but it doesn't work...
Is there actually someone that uses vim 6.3 with Workshop???