configuring sytanstic - mainly ruby(rails), javascript, eruby

configuring sytanstic - mainly ruby(rails), javascript, eruby

roberto32
so I installed syntastic and I try to use it - it notes rails errors & warnings but reading this article http://blog.thomasupton.com/2012/05/syntastic/ you can tune it finely, i.e. is it necssary or what are adv. of doing so.

Re: configuring sytanstic - mainly ruby(rails), javascript, eruby

LCD 47
On 22 May 2015, Robert Balejík <[hidden email]> wrote:
> so I installed syntastic and I try to use it - it
> notes rails errors & warnings but reading this article
> http://blog.thomasupton.com/2012/05/syntastic/ you can tune it finely,
> i.e. is it necssary or what are adv. of doing so.

    It mostly works out of the box, but you aren't really supposed to
use it with the default configuration.  It's a good idea to read the
manual[1], you'll save yourself a lot of time by doing that.  Then
perhaps read the FAQ[2], and look at the checker-specific notes[3] for
the checkers you care to use.

    /lcd

[1]: :help syntastic
[2]: https://github.com/scrooloose/syntastic#faq
[3]: https://github.com/scrooloose/syntastic/wiki/Syntax-Checkers

Re: configuring sytanstic - mainly ruby(rails), javascript, eruby

roberto32
thanks so I did :SyntastciInfo and this is what I get

Global mode: active
Filetype ] is active
Available checkers: -
Currently enabled checkers: -

I have isntalled chcekers wtih npm and globally (jshint, csshint,) and ruby-lint but how could it be that there are no available checkers
:echo syntastic#util#system('echo "$PATH"')  gives this output
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games:/usr/lib/mit/bin
so this seems OK so the only reason could be that those checker arn't enabled in my path - how could it be?

On 23 May 2015, Robert Balejík <[hidden email]> wrote:
> thanks so I did :SyntastciInfo and this is what I get
>
> Global mode: active
> Filetype ] is active
  ^^^^^^^^^^

    There's your problem.

    /lcd

> Available checkers: -
> Currently enabled checkers: -
>
> I have isntalled chcekers wtih npm and globally (jshint, csshint,) and
> ruby-lint but how could it be that there are no available checkers
> :echo syntastic#util#system('echo "$PATH"')  gives this output
> /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games:/usr/lib/mit/bin
> so this seems OK so the only reason could be that those checker arn't
> enabled in my path - how could it be?

Re: configuring sytanstic - mainly ruby(rails), javascript, eruby

roberto32
I mean how can I resolve it our found aout what of thoee checkers variables are enabled in my $PATH ?

Re: configuring sytanstic - mainly ruby(rails), javascript, eruby

LCD 47
On 23 May 2015, Robert Balejík <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I mean how can I resolve it our found aout what of thoee checkers
> variables are enabled in my $PATH ?

    Fix your filetype.  Syntastic depends on filetypes being set
correctly.  Your test file has filetype "]". No idea how you managed to
do that, but this is not going to work.

    /lcd

Re: configuring sytanstic - mainly ruby(rails), javascript, eruby

roberto32
what did you mean by : " Your test file has filetype "]". "?

On 23 May 2015, Robert Balejík <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I mean how can I resolve it our found aout what of thoee checkers
> variables are enabled in my $PATH ?

    Fix your filetype.  Syntastic depends on filetypes being set
correctly.  Your test file has filetype "]". No idea how you managed to
do that, but this is not going to work.

    /lcd

Re: configuring sytanstic - mainly ruby(rails), javascript, eruby

Ethan Hereth

On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 2:54 PM, Robert Balejík <[hidden email]> wrote:
what did you mean by : " Your test file has filetype "]". "?

On 23 May 2015, Robert Balejík <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I mean how can I resolve it our found aout what of thoee checkers
> variables are enabled in my $PATH ?

    Fix your filetype.  Syntastic depends on filetypes being set
correctly.  Your test file has filetype "]". No idea how you managed to
do that, but this is not going to work.

    /lcd

Robert,

Please don't top post.

It appears that, somehow, vim thinks the filetype of the file you are editing is ']'

This seems very strange; what kind of file are you editing? If you type :set filetype? in Vim's commandline, it should tell you what it thinks the filetype is. Presumably it is ']' and I have no idea what that means or why it would think that.

To learn more about this read :help filetype.

I use Syntastic some too, and, if the filetype is correct it pretty much should just work. Assuming that the appropriate linters/checkers are indeed in your path.

Good luck,

Ethan Alan

Re: configuring sytanstic - mainly ruby(rails), javascript, eruby

Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov

> On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 2:54 PM, Robert Balejík <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> what did you mean by : " Your test file has filetype "]". "?

>>>     Fix your filetype.  Syntastic depends on filetypes being set
>>> correctly.  Your test file has filetype "]". No idea how you managed to
>>> do that, but this is not going to work.
>>>
>>>     /lcd
>>>
> Robert,
>
> Please don't top post.
>
> It appears that, somehow, vim thinks the filetype of the file you are
> editing is ']'
>
> This seems very strange; what kind of file are you editing? If you type :set
> filetype? in Vim's commandline, it should tell you what it thinks the
> filetype is. Presumably it is ']' and I have no idea what that means or why
> it would think that.

It is very easy to have this filetype: just have
`\%(\s\|^\)vim:\s*ft=]` somewhere near the start or the end of the
file. It is interesting that `set ft=[` produces E474.

It is better to type `:verbose set filetype?` to know where it was set.

> To learn more about this read :help filetype.
>
> I use Syntastic some too, and, if the filetype is correct it pretty much
> should just work. Assuming that the appropriate linters/checkers are indeed
> in your path.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Ethan Alan
>
>>> --
>>> --
>>> You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
>>> Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
>>> For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
>>>
>>> ---
>>> [hidden email].
>>

>> --
>> --
>>
>> ---
>> email to [hidden email].

> ---
> email to [hidden email].

Re: configuring sytanstic - mainly ruby(rails), javascript, eruby

Justin M. Keyes
On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 6:06 PM, LCD 47 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 22 May 2015, Robert Balejík <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> so I installed syntastic and I try to use it - it
>> notes rails errors & warnings but reading this article
>> http://blog.thomasupton.com/2012/05/syntastic/ you can tune it finely,
>> i.e. is it necssary or what are adv. of doing so.
>
>     It mostly works out of the box, but you aren't really supposed to
> use it with the default configuration.  It's a good idea to read the
> manual[1], you'll save yourself a lot of time by doing that.  Then
> perhaps read the FAQ[2], and look at the checker-specific notes[3] for
> the checkers you care to use.
>
>     /lcd
>
> [1]: :help syntastic
> [2]: https://github.com/scrooloose/syntastic#faq
> [3]: https://github.com/scrooloose/syntastic/wiki/Syntax-Checkers

Off-topic, I finally gave syntastic a chance recently, and I must say
the documentation is impressive. Original author notwithstanding.

Justin M. Keyes

Dne pátek 22. května 2015 18:09:34 UTC+2 Robert Balejík napsal(a):
> so I installed syntastic and I try to use it - it notes rails errors & warnings but reading this article http://blog.thomasupton.com/2012/05/syntastic/ you can tune it finely, i.e. is it necssary or what are adv. of doing so.

OK now it is runnin just fine, but I have 1 mire question: I've js.erb file it says filetype ruby - is it also chcekin javascript in that case? I mean I've installed jshint and also set it as a cehecker in .vimrc

On 24 May 2015, Robert Balejík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dne pátek 22. května 2015 18:09:34 UTC+2 Robert Balejík napsal(a):
> > so I installed syntastic and I try to use it - it
> > notes rails errors & warnings but reading this article
> > http://blog.thomasupton.com/2012/05/syntastic/ you can tune it
> > finely, i.e. is it necssary or what are adv. of doing so.
>
> OK now it is runnin just fine, but I have 1 mire question: I've js.erb
> file it says filetype ruby - is it also chcekin javascript in that
> case? I mean I've installed jshint and also set it as a cehecker in
> .vimrc

    No, jshint can't check eRuby files.

    /lcd

Re: configuring sytanstic - mainly ruby(rails), javascript, eruby

roberto32
so does it chcek for javascript when filetype is js.erb ??? or it only chceks for ruby mistakes ?? or is there a way (plugin) to do that?