conky, todos

Scott Scriven-2
So, I've been keeping some TODO items in VO.  And I recently
discovered conky, a system monitor similar to gkrellm or
superkaramba.

I tried putting these together, and found it works pretty well.
I have a script generate a plain text file every minute or so
based on my todo.otl, and conky then updates the copy displayed
as part of my wallpaper.

It's a really simple, almost trivial script, but I like the
results...

  #!/bin/sh
  while true ; do
    grep '[_]' $HOME/todo.otl \
      | perl -ne 's/\t/  /g; s/\[_\]/-/; s/- (\d\d+)%/+ \1%/; print if (/<--/) or (not /^    /);' \
      > $HOME/.todo.conky
    sleep 60
  done

The script converts tabs to two spaces, replaces "[_]"'s with
"-"'s or "+"'s depending on the completion percentage, filters
out finished and non-checkbox items, and filters out everything
deeper than two levels (unless it has a "<--" in it, marking it
as important).

So, as I update my todo list, the summarized version on my
desktop updates automatically, hiding completed tasks and
details.

-- Scott

Re: conky, todos

Noel Henson
Scott,

Can you provide a bit more information on the integration of VO and Conky?

Noel

On Friday 10 November 2006 10:30, Scott Scriven wrote:

> So, I've been keeping some TODO items in VO.  And I recently
> discovered conky, a system monitor similar to gkrellm or
> superkaramba.
>
> I tried putting these together, and found it works pretty well.
> I have a script generate a plain text file every minute or so
> based on my todo.otl, and conky then updates the copy displayed
> as part of my wallpaper.
>
> It's a really simple, almost trivial script, but I like the
> results...
>
>   #!/bin/sh
>   while true ; do
>     grep '[_]' $HOME/todo.otl \
>
>       | perl -ne 's/\t/  /g; s/\[_\]/-/; s/- (\d\d+)%/+ \1%/; print if
>       | (/<--/) or (not /^    /);' \
>       > $HOME/.todo.conky
>
>     sleep 60
>   done
>
> The script converts tabs to two spaces, replaces "[_]"'s with
> "-"'s or "+"'s depending on the completion percentage, filters
> out finished and non-checkbox items, and filters out everything
> deeper than two levels (unless it has a "<--" in it, marking it
> as important).
>
> So, as I update my todo list, the summarized version on my
> desktop updates automatically, hiding completed tasks and
> details.
>

> -- Scott

Re: conky, todos

Scott Scriven-2
* Noel Henson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can you provide a bit more information on the integration of VO and Conky?

Sure.

I have a file called $HOME/todo.otl .  It's my primary todo list.
In this case, it's on my work PC.  The todo.otl file is a pretty
standard VO todo list, except that I append a "<--" to some lines
to remind me that the task is active/important/whatever.

I also have a script, $HOME/.todo.conky.sh, which was shown
earlier.  I run this in the background:

  #!/bin/sh
  while true ; do
    grep '[_]' $HOME/todo.otl \
      | perl -ne 's/\t/  /g; s/\[_\]/-/; s/- (\d\d+)%/+ \1%/; print if (/<--/) or (not /^    /);' \
      > $HOME/.todo.conky
    sleep 30
  done

Then I have a $HOME/.conkyrc.todo .  It contains some misc theme
config, and then a pretty short "TEXT" section:

  TEXT
  ${head /home/scott/.todo.conky 30 15}

The end result is that my unfinished todo items are summarized
onto my wallpaper.

Conky can show a maximum of 30 lines per file, so I make sure to
put the more important items near the top of the list.

As an example, say I have the following todo.otl:

  [_] 11% a
  : blah blah blah
  [_] 0% a1
  [_] a11
  [_] 33% a2
  [_] a21
  [X] a22
  [_] a23 <--
  [_] a3
  foo
  bar
  [X] b
  [_] 50% c
  [X] c1
  [_] c2

After the script runs, what I'd see on my desktop is:

  + 11% a
    - 0% a1
    + 33% a2
      - a23 <--
    - a3
  + 50% c
    - c2

It's really not much of a transformation, but I find it useful.
It helps me remember what I need to do, and what I'm working on
right now.  I usually have several things going on at once, so I
generally mark my "do today" items with a "<--" so I won't spend
as much time trying to remember what to do next.

-- Scott