continuing trouble associating Vim with file types in Tiger

continuing trouble associating Vim with file types in Tiger

Chris Fonnesbecck
I was wondering if anyone has made headway with associating Vim as the
default application for particular file types. I tried following the
advice of an earlier thread on the subject (back in May), but to no
avail. Any attempt to associate Vim with a given file time simply
snaps back to the original file application in the info panel for that
file. So far, no tinkering with Info.plist has improved the situation.

Any recommendations most welcome.

Thanks,
Chris

Re: continuing trouble associating Vim with file types in Tiger

André Berger-2
* Chris Fonnesbeck <[hidden email]>, 2005-08-11 23:10 +0200:

> I was wondering if anyone has made headway with associating Vim as the
> default application for particular file types. I tried following the
> advice of an earlier thread on the subject (back in May), but to no
> avail. Any attempt to associate Vim with a given file time simply
> snaps back to the original file application in the info panel for that
> file. So far, no tinkering with Info.plist has improved the situation.
>
> Any recommendations most welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

Using Tiger? It's a bug, but I don't remember where I read about it.

-Andre

Re: continuing trouble associating Vim with file types in Tiger

Daniele Venzano
Copying this info.plist:
http://www.brownhat.org/rlieh/Info.plist
over the one available in the Vim.app bundle should solve the problem.

Vim is not setting the CFBundleIdentifier field, causing Tiger to
forget its existence.

Bye.

--
Daniele Venzano
http://www.brownhat.org

Re: continuing trouble associating Vim with file types in Tiger

André Berger-2
* Daniele Venzano <[hidden email]>, 2005-08-12 10:20 +0200:
> Copying this info.plist:
> http://www.brownhat.org/rlieh/Info.plist
> over the one available in the Vim.app bundle should solve the problem.
>
> Vim is not setting the CFBundleIdentifier field, causing Tiger to
> forget its existence.
>
> Bye.

Daniele,

just to make sure, you're suggesting to copy this file to the
installed vim's Vim.app/Contents/, right? Not only it doesn't work
for me: I cannot assign all ".txt" files to Vim (though it shows up
as a recommended application now) using Info: Change all in the
Finder; Vim also never gets to the foreground when started from mutt
with the exec switch, and doesn't seem to take clicks in the
background either.

I strongly suggest to make a backup copy of your Info.plist before
trying.

-Andre

On 8/12/05, Andre Berger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> * Daniele Venzano <[hidden email]>, 2005-08-12 10:20 +0200:
> > Copying this info.plist:
> > http://www.brownhat.org/rlieh/Info.plist
> > over the one available in the Vim.app bundle should solve the problem.
> >
> > Vim is not setting the CFBundleIdentifier field, causing Tiger to
> > forget its existence.
> >
> > Bye.
>
> Daniele,
>
> just to make sure, you're suggesting to copy this file to the
> installed vim's Vim.app/Contents/, right? Not only it doesn't work
> for me: I cannot assign all ".txt" files to Vim (though it shows up
> as a recommended application now) using Info: Change all in the
> Finder; Vim also never gets to the foreground when started from mutt
> with the exec switch, and doesn't seem to take clicks in the
> background either.
>
> I strongly suggest to make a backup copy of your Info.plist before
> trying.

Yes, to confirm this certainly does not work, at least for vim 6.3 on
Tiger. All files assigned to vim immediately snap back to the original
application after clicking on "change all". Thanks for the advice
though.

C.

Re: continuing trouble associating Vim with file types in Tiger

André Berger-2
* Chris Fonnesbeck <[hidden email]>, 2005-08-12 16:00 +0200:

> On 8/12/05, Andre Berger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > * Daniele Venzano <[hidden email]>, 2005-08-12 10:20 +0200:
> > > Copying this info.plist:
> > > http://www.brownhat.org/rlieh/Info.plist
> > > over the one available in the Vim.app bundle should solve the problem.
> > >
> > > Vim is not setting the CFBundleIdentifier field, causing Tiger to
> > > forget its existence.
> > >
> > > Bye.
> >
> > Daniele,
> >
> > just to make sure, you're suggesting to copy this file to the
> > installed vim's Vim.app/Contents/, right? Not only it doesn't work
> > for me: I cannot assign all ".txt" files to Vim (though it shows up
> > as a recommended application now) using Info: Change all in the
> > Finder; Vim also never gets to the foreground when started from mutt
> > with the exec switch, and doesn't seem to take clicks in the
> > background either.
> >
> > I strongly suggest to make a backup copy of your Info.plist before
> > trying.
> >

> Yes, to confirm this certainly does not work, at least for vim 6.3 on
> Tiger. All files assigned to vim immediately snap back to the original
> application after clicking on "change all". Thanks for the advice
> though.

Found the background article I had in mind:

<http://lists.apple.com/archives/Carbon-dev/2005/May/msg01320.html>

-Andre

Thanks Andre ... sounds like we'll just have to wait.

Re: continuing trouble associating Vim with file types in Tiger

Daniele Venzano
I have uploaded a new Info.plist on the same place as before (http://
www.brownhat.org/rlieh/Info.plist), but the only thing I changed was
the icon name. That file is working for me, and I tried again to
conform that.

Did you rebuild the LaunchServices database by doing:
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/
Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/Current/Support/
lsregister -r -v -f /Applications/Vim.app

I forgot to mention this in the previous mail, but it is quite an
important thing to make OsX aware that something changed.

Bye.

--
Daniele Venzano
http://www.brownhat.org

Re: continuing trouble associating Vim with file types in Tiger

André Berger-2
* Daniele Venzano <[hidden email]>, 2005-08-12 21:50 +0200:

> I have uploaded a new Info.plist on the same place as before (http://
> www.brownhat.org/rlieh/Info.plist), but the only thing I changed was
> the icon name. That file is working for me, and I tried again to
> conform that.
>
> Did you rebuild the LaunchServices database by doing:
> /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/
> Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/Current/Support/
> lsregister -r -v -f /Applications/Vim.app
>
> I forgot to mention this in the previous mail, but it is quite an
> important thing to make OsX aware that something changed.

Didn't make a difference here, still no go.

-Andre