`converted' From/to what

Harry Putnam
vim-6.4 on gentoo linux

Some time ago, not sure how long, I started seeing this brief message
go across the echo area when I save a file...or region to new file:

 "FILE" [converted][New] 142L, 5422C written

This message is just a sconce too criptic!
What is being converted, and from what to what?

Re: `converted' From/to what

adah
> vim-6.4 on gentoo linux
>
> Some time ago, not sure how long, I started seeing this brief message
> go across the echo area when I save a file...or region to new file:
>
>  "FILE" [converted][New] 142L, 5422C written
>
> This message is just a sconce too criptic!
> What is being converted, and from what to what?

:set enc?
:set fenc?
:set fencs?

:help 'enc'
:help 'fenc'
:help 'fencs'

Best regards,

Yongwei

Re: `converted' From/to what

Harry Putnam wrote:

> vim-6.4 on gentoo linux
>
> Some time ago, not sure how long, I started seeing this brief message
> go across the echo area when I save a file...or region to new file:
>
>  "FILE" [converted][New] 142L, 5422C written
>
> This message is just a sconce too criptic!
> What is being converted, and from what to what?

If [converted] appears on writing, it means the file data was converted
from your global 'encoding' (i.e., the internal charset currently used
by Vim for all files) to the file's 'fileencoding' (the charset used by
the file on disk). If it appears on reading, it means of course the
opposite. In both cases, it means the conversion was successful.

See
        :help 'encoding'
        :help 'fileencoding'
        :help charset-conversion
        :help mbyte-conversion
See also
        :help 'fileencodings'
                about how Vim can automatically "guess" an existing
                file's charset
        :help ++opt
                about how to tell Vim the charset of some particular
                file

HTH,

Re: `converted' From/to what

Harry Putnam

[...]

[hidden email] writes:

>> This message is just a sconce too criptic!
>> What is being converted, and from what to what?
>
> :set enc?
> :set fenc?
> :set fencs?
>
> :help 'enc'