ctags output available via taglist

David Fishburn-2
  Vim 7.3.

Is it possible to use a system() call to get the output from running
ctags and somehow pipe that input so that it is available via the
taglist() function?

Or at least provide that output into something that will parse it and
provide it via one of Vim's functions?

This has to be dynamic, so I can't specify a tags file via:
set tags=

Thanks for any suggestions.
Dave

Re: ctags output available via taglist

Gary Johnson-4
On 2010-08-31, David Fishburn wrote:

>  Vim 7.3.
>
> Is it possible to use a system() call to get the output from running
> ctags and somehow pipe that input so that it is available via the
> taglist() function?
>
> Or at least provide that output into something that will parse it and
> provide it via one of Vim's functions?
>
> This has to be dynamic, so I can't specify a tags file via:
> set tags=

You might take a look at the ctags.vim plugin,
http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=610.  The
GenerateTags() function uses system() to execute ctags and collect
its output into one string which it then parses.

HTH,
Gary