ctrlP to navigate arbitrary directory

Kent
Hello,

I use FuzzyFinder for years. Recently I heard a lot about CtrlP. And gave it a try. It does have some good features over FF. However one thing I didn't figure out, with FF(File search), I can type "/etc" to navigate to my root directory and do search, no matter which directory I am in.

However for CtrlP, it seems that it searches only under current directory. In doc I found I can type .. to go to parent dir. but it didn't work for me somehow.

How can I navigate to arbitrary directory with CtrlP?

thanks.

Re: ctrlP to navigate arbitrary directory

Benjamin R. Haskell-8
On Thu, 28 Feb 2013, Kent wrote:

> Hello,
> I use FuzzyFinder for years. Recently I heard a lot about CtrlP. And
> gave it a try. It does have some good features over FF. However one
> thing I didn't figure out, with FF(File search), I can type "/etc" to
> navigate to my root directory and do search, no matter which directory
> I am in.
>
> However for CtrlP, it seems that it searches only under current
> directory. In doc I found I can type .. to go to parent dir. but it
> didn't work for me somehow.

You type .., then hit enter.

> How can I navigate to arbitrary directory with CtrlP?

You can't navigate to an arbitrary directory once CtrlP is up, but you
can invoke CtrlP on an arbitrary directory, e.g.:

:CtrlP /home/bhaskell/git/project

Also see:

:help g:ctrlp_working_path_mode

And:

:help :CtrlPCurFile

I've mapped the latter to ,n with:

:nm <leader>n :CtrlPCurFile<CR>

--
Best,
Ben

On Thu, 28 Feb 2013, Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Feb 2013, Kent wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I use FuzzyFinder for years. Recently I heard a lot about CtrlP. And gave
>> it a try. It does have some good features over FF. However one thing I
>> didn't figure out, with FF(File search), I can type "/etc" to navigate to
>> my root directory and do search, no matter which directory I am in.
>>
>> However for CtrlP, it seems that it searches only under current directory.
>> In doc I found I can type .. to go to parent dir. but it didn't work for me
>> somehow.
>
> You type .., then hit enter.
>

>> How can I navigate to arbitrary directory with CtrlP?
>
> You can't navigate to an arbitrary directory once CtrlP is up, but you can
> invoke CtrlP on an arbitrary directory, e.g.:
>
> :CtrlP /home/bhaskell/git/project
>
> Also see:
>
> :help g:ctrlp_working_path_mode
>
> And:
>
> :help :CtrlPCurFile

Scratch that... The help tag has been removed in recent versions
(wtf?), though the command remains.

It's equivalent to CtrlP with the ctrlp_working_path_mode of 1.

--
Best,
Ben

Re: ctrlP to navigate arbitrary directory

Kent
thanks for the quick response.

I did try .. and ../  but didn't try ..<cr> . :)

So when CtrlP started, I can only stay at project directory. or ../../../......../../ <enter> to root :)
i think i have to get used to it if I use it.

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 3:42 PM, Benjamin R. Haskell <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, 28 Feb 2013, Kent wrote:

[...]

Fabien Meghazi-2
On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 3:37 PM, Kent <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I use FuzzyFinder for years. Recently I heard a lot about CtrlP. And gave it
> a try. It does have some good features over FF.

Cool ! Just discovered CtrlP with this post and I like it, especially
the root path autodiscovery !

I'd like to change the default behaviour of <cr> in CtrlP shell in
order to open in new tab instead of current window. I can't see an
option for that in ctrlp.txt. Is it possible ?

--
Fabien Meghazi

Website: http://www.amigrave.com
Email: [hidden email]
IM: [hidden email]

On Tue, 5 Mar 2013, Fabien Meghazi wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 3:37 PM, Kent <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I use FuzzyFinder for years. Recently I heard a lot about CtrlP. And
>> gave it a try. It does have some good features over FF.
>
> Cool ! Just discovered CtrlP with this post and I like it, especially
> the root path autodiscovery !
>
> I'd like to change the default behaviour of <cr> in CtrlP shell in
> order to open in new tab instead of current window. I can't see an
> option for that in ctrlp.txt. Is it possible ?

Yes.  Here's what you're asking for (put it in your .vimrc):

let g:ctrlp_prompt_mappings = {
   \ 'AcceptSelection("t")': ['<cr>'],
\ }

See: :help 'g:ctrlp_prompt_mappings'

--
Best,
Ben

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 4:07 PM, Benjamin R. Haskell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes.  Here's what you're asking for (put it in your .vimrc):
>
> let g:ctrlp_prompt_mappings = {
>   \ 'AcceptSelection("t")': ['<cr>'],
> \ }

I tried it without success. I tried it before and after
pathogen#infect, also tried to enter the command manually but the
files still open in current window.

--
Fabien Meghazi

Website: http://www.amigrave.com
Email: [hidden email]
IM: [hidden email]

Re: ctrlP to navigate arbitrary directory

Benjamin R. Haskell-8
On Tue, 5 Mar 2013, Fabien Meghazi wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 4:07 PM, Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:
>> Yes.  Here's what you're asking for (put it in your .vimrc):
>>
>> let g:ctrlp_prompt_mappings = {
>>   \ 'AcceptSelection("t")': ['<cr>'],
>> \ }
>
> I tried it without success. I tried it before and after
> pathogen#infect, also tried to enter the command manually but the
> files still open in current window.

I forgot you also need to remove the '<cr>' binding from
'AcceptSelection("e")' (a default).  You can either map something else
to it (e.g. Ctrl-X):

let g:ctrlp_prompt_mappings = {
   \ 'AcceptSelection("t")': ['<cr>'],
   \ 'AcceptSelection("e")': ['<c-x>'],
\ }

Or just remove it:

let g:ctrlp_prompt_mappings = {
   \ 'AcceptSelection("t")': ['<cr>'],
   \ 'AcceptSelection("e")': [],
\ }

--
Best,
Ben

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 4:59 PM, Benjamin R. Haskell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I forgot you also need to remove the '<cr>' binding from
> 'AcceptSelection("e")' (a default).  You can either map something else to it
> (e.g. Ctrl-X):

Thanks Benjamin, you made my day !