cursorline doesn't work as expected in MacVim

cursorline doesn't work as expected in MacVim

Alessio Bolognino
So, I'm trying to getting used with MacVim;
I like to set cursorline in my vimrc, but for some reason if I set
:hi CursorLine gui=underline

only the text gets underlined, not the whole line as it should. I read
in the TODO that there is something about underline text, but I didn't
quite understand if this is related to this bug.
While on topic, do you prefer me to file bug reports on
code.google.com or to write here (or even both)?

Note that this bug affects MacVim only, Vim.app and vim-cocoa have no
problem.

Cheers,

--
Alessio (molok) Bolognino

Please send personal email to [hidden email]

Public Key http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xFE0270FB
GPG Key ID = 1024D / FE0270FB 2007-04-11
Key Fingerprint = 9AF8 9011 F271 450D 59CF  2D7D 96C9 8F2A FE02 70FB

Re: cursorline doesn't work as expected in MacVim

Andrew Stewart

On 4 Jun 2008, at 22:17, Alessio Bolognino wrote:

> So, I'm trying to getting used with MacVim;
> I like to set cursorline in my vimrc, but for some reason if I set
> :hi CursorLine gui=underline
>
> only the text gets underlined, not the whole line as it should. I read
> in the TODO that there is something about underline text, but I didn't
> quite understand if this is related to this bug.

Do you need underlining specifically?

If I put "set cursorline" in my .vimrc, MacVim background-highlights
the whole line.  (In terminal vim the whole line, not just the text,
is underlined instead.)

Hope that helps somehow.

Regards,
Andy Stewart

-------
AirBlade Software
http://airbladesoftware.com

On Thu 2008-06-05 09:13, Andrew Stewart wrote:

> On 4 Jun 2008, at 22:17, Alessio Bolognino wrote:
>
> > So, I'm trying to getting used with MacVim;
> > I like to set cursorline in my vimrc, but for some reason if I set
> > :hi CursorLine gui=underline
> >
> > only the text gets underlined, not the whole line as it should. I read
> > in the TODO that there is something about underline text, but I didn't
> > quite understand if this is related to this bug.
>
> Do you need underlining specifically?
>
> If I put "set cursorline" in my .vimrc, MacVim background-highlights
> the whole line.  (In terminal vim the whole line, not just the text,
> is underlined instead.)
Yeah, I know that "background highlight" works fine; the underlining is
obviously not something I really *need*, is just something I am used to
have, since is the default behavior of Vim.

--
Alessio (molok) Bolognino

Please send personal email to [hidden email]

Public Key http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xFE0270FB
GPG Key ID = 1024D / FE0270FB 2007-04-11
Key Fingerprint = 9AF8 9011 F271 450D 59CF  2D7D 96C9 8F2A FE02 70FB

Re: cursorline doesn't work as expected in MacVim

Björn Winckler

2008/6/5 Alessio Bolognino <[hidden email]>:

> On Thu 2008-06-05 09:13, Andrew Stewart wrote:
>> On 4 Jun 2008, at 22:17, Alessio Bolognino wrote:
>>
>> > So, I'm trying to getting used with MacVim;
>> > I like to set cursorline in my vimrc, but for some reason if I set
>> > :hi CursorLine gui=underline
>> >
>> > only the text gets underlined, not the whole line as it should. I read
>> > in the TODO that there is something about underline text, but I didn't
>> > quite understand if this is related to this bug.
>>
>> Do you need underlining specifically?
>>
>> If I put "set cursorline" in my .vimrc, MacVim background-highlights
>> the whole line.  (In terminal vim the whole line, not just the text,
>> is underlined instead.)
>
> Yeah, I know that "background highlight" works fine; the underlining is
> obviously not something I really *need*, is just something I am used to
> have, since is the default behavior of Vim.

I looked around the Cocoa docs but I could not find a way to change so
that it underlines spaces at the end of a line.  However, for me it
does underline between words...are you saying that you don't even get
underlines in spaces between words?  In any case, I'm afraid I don't
think there's anything to be done about this. :-/

As for reporting bugs: it is better to post to this list because it
gives other users a chance to chime in.  Often the users on this list
know more about Vim than me anyway, so reporting something (which may
or may not be a bug in the end) here greatly increases the chances of
it getting resolved.

Björn

On Thu 2008-06-05 19:01, björn wrote:

> 2008/6/5 Alessio Bolognino <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
> I looked around the Cocoa docs but I could not find a way to change so
> that it underlines spaces at the end of a line.  However, for me it
> does underline between words...are you saying that you don't even get
> underlines in spaces between words?  In any case, I'm afraid I don't
> think there's anything to be done about this. :-/
It *does* underline between words, but not the whole line.

> As for reporting bugs: it is better to post to this list because it
> gives other users a chance to chime in.  Often the users on this list
> know more about Vim than me anyway, so reporting something (which may
> or may not be a bug in the end) here greatly increases the chances of
> it getting resolved.

Fine for me :)