dab, da(, da[, da{, etc. are not working!

dab, da(, da[, da{, etc. are not working!

Maadis Ie
Hi,
I am using vim 8.2 under Ubuntu and I have added vim-latex and vim-matchup plugins.

Everything looks working fine---di"  can delete texts inside double-quote---but dab, daB, dib, diB, di{, etc. cannot do anything.

Are there any issues? Have I missed anything here? Any pointers would be highly appreciated.

Re: dab, da(, da[, da{, etc. are not working!

Sven Guckes-3
* Maadis Ie <[hidden email]> [2021-04-04 03:26]:
> I am using vim 8.2 under Ubuntu and I have
> added vim-latex and vim-matchup plugins.

a bit of context:

  https://github.com/SpaceVim/vim-matchup
  https://github.com/vim-latex/vim-latex

general note: vim-8.2 has evolved a bit..
it is currently up to patch 2705.

i don't know whether your problem will be fixed by
upgrading, but it might help avoid other problems. :)

> Everything looks working fine ---
> di" can delete texts inside double-quote ---
> but dab, daB, dib, diB, di{, etc. cannot do anything.
> Are there any issues? Have I missed anything here?

"block" as in "code block between pairs of {}"?

maybe you can illustrate by giving an example?

if you meant "sequence of non-empty lines"
then you might be looking for these commands:

    dap and dip

see also:
    :help ap
    :help ip
    :h text-objects

ps: i know that "---" is inserted into
the text without any surrounding spaces
but this upsets many reading conventions
and breaks some highlighting/coloring.
so i mmoved your example onto a line
of its own.  somehow easier to read. :)

Sven

JB

On Saturday, April 3, 2021 6:51 PM, Sven Guckes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Everything looks working fine ---
> > di" can delete texts inside double-quote ---
> > but dab, daB, dib, diB, di{, etc. cannot do anything.
> > Are there any issues? Have I missed anything here?
>
> "block" as in "code block between pairs of {}"?
>
> dap and dip
>
> see also:
> :help ap
> :help ip
> :h text-objects

The b and B in dab and daB are equal to ( and {, respectively.

':help diw' Gives a list of object deletion commands, not including some in his email's Subject line.