definitive terminal vim vs. gvim debate

Adam Wolff-2
Hi all,
I'm a long time VIMmer and a short-time OS Xer. I loved gvim on the
PC, and used it instead of cygwin VIM. However I think I've settled on
terminal VIM on the mac. It seems much faster on my macbook than gVim,
though I admittedly built the former but not the latter. I was going
to start a wiki page on my website with some information about how and
why I'm running stuff the way I do, but I wanted to check and make
sure I have good info here first.

The biggest thing I miss in my terminal vim is the ability to make the
cursor blink in insert mode, but not having keyboard control over
gVim's dialogs with the keyboard is a deal breaker for me (how is this
possible?) Also the lack of a minimize command for the gVim window
bothers me a lot.

Anyone else have strong opinions here? Why doesn't the mac terminal
respond to ansi escape codes, that, say, change the cursor color or
make it blink? I looked at iTerm but that didn't seem any better.

Thanks in advance,
Adam

Re: definitive terminal vim vs. gvim debate

David Sewell-2

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006, Adam Wolff wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm a long time VIMmer and a short-time OS Xer. I loved gvim on the
> PC, and used it instead of cygwin VIM. However I think I've settled on
> terminal VIM on the mac.

I use vim with Terminal.app all the time. I mostly use Gvim in cases
where I want to use the mouse a lot.

I don't entirely understand the antagonism some folks in the Mac
community have to Terminal.app; the older OS X versions had weak
implementations, but the one in 10.4.7 is pretty good. It performs as
well as iTerm on the old vttest program, for example (better on things
like double-sized characters).

DS

PO Box 400318, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA
Email: [hidden email]   Tel: +1 434 924 9973

Re: definitive terminal vim vs. gvim debate

Rick Hogg
I'm of mixed opinions about this.  For the first few months of my Vim-ing I was all about using VIM via Terminal.app, but something clicked in me, and I experimented with Vim.app, and I have to say I'm pretty impressed.  It opens quicker and gives you a graphical browser for opening files.  That said, it's a unitasker, and if you're working on a document and constantly need other command line utilities then using Terminal.app is the way to go.  I use both all the time.

Just either add the path to vim (/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim) to your path, make an alias to this vim in your .profile, or, as I did, make a symbolic link to vim in /usr/bin so that you only have one installation to update as new patches or versions are made available.

Enjoy!

David Sewell <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, 1 Aug 2006, Adam Wolff wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm a long time VIMmer and a short-time OS Xer. I loved gvim on the
> PC, and used it instead of cygwin VIM. However I think I've settled on
> terminal VIM on the mac.

I use vim with Terminal.app all the time. I mostly use Gvim in cases
where I want to use the mouse a lot.

I don't entirely understand the antagonism some folks in the Mac
community have to Terminal.app; the older OS X versions had weak
implementations, but the one in 10.4.7 is pretty good. It performs as
well as iTerm on the old vttest program, for example (better on things
like double-sized characters).

DS

PO Box 400318, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA
Email: [hidden email]   Tel: +1 434 924 9973

 Next-gen email? Have it all with the  all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.

Re: definitive terminal vim vs. gvim debate

Tim Stebbing
I've been using vim in various forms for about 7 years, I consider
myself a fairly hard-core user, in that I have a .vimrc file over 1k
lines long, which at several points loads further functionality form
python modules I've written. I also use vim every day of the week for
on average 8-9 hours, and I have no mouse attached to my machine.

I use gvim when developing software, I use terminal vim when doing
short sys-admin tasks.
I know alot of old timers will nay-say the gui vim for various
reasons, and thats fine, but for me the killer functionality of  gvim
is colour support. Now this might sound like an odd thing to say, but
when you are staring at a screen all day long the colour scheme you
use becomes fairly important for eye-strain, readability and so on. I
have 3 different schemes I use which I have written myself, designed
for differing levels of ambient light, I light one for high light
conditions, a mid tone and a dark for night time.
I've always been a linux user but have recently bought a macbook pro.
I've adapted a bit of code I found on a blog for reading the ambient
light sensor (mail me if you want it) and now have a small process
that polls the ambient light in the room every minute and then uses
vim remote to tell the running gvim process to change themes if the
light hits a particular threshold.. ok, perhaps I'm a bit obsessive
over my colours but 16 just is not enough for me.

Timothy J Stebbing

Re: definitive terminal vim vs. gvim debate

Gregory Seidman-4
On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 09:15:54AM -0700, Adam Wolff wrote:
[...]
} Anyone else have strong opinions here? Why doesn't the mac terminal
} respond to ansi escape codes, that, say, change the cursor color or
} make it blink? I looked at iTerm but that didn't seem any better.

I actually run the X11 server on OS X, and tend to work from the
commandline a lot more than from the Finder. I find that xterm is better
than Terminal.app in essentially every way (emulation, configurability,
speed, though if you want transparency you are out of luck), and gvim under
X11 has always been good. I use Fink to install it, and the unstable branch
has vim7.

} Thanks in advance,
} Adam
--Greg