devanagari vim and word

miten mehta

Hello,

I read that vim supports unicode editing so tried to enter utf-8
characters using ctrl-v u followed by 4 digit hex code like
093f
092e
0947
0924
0928

all on one line.  Of course the display was garbled but I assume thats
how it looks on console.  I am on win xp with vim version as below.

Before insert mode in command mode I have tried setting encoding and
fileencoding to utf8.

After saving file I try opening in Microsoft Word it correctly prompts
me to pick file format but utf-8 and others dont render the text as
appropriate.  I have Devanagari MT for IBM installed with MS Word so
it should let me edit using devanagari font.

Any idea what I need to do ?

Below is detail of my vim version.

Thanks.

Miten Mehta

C:\Documents and Settings\Miten Mehta>vim --version
VIM - Vi IMproved 7.2 (2008 Aug 9, compiled Aug 10 2008 10:52:25)
Compiled by corinna@cathi
Huge version without GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):
+arabic +autocmd -balloon_eval -browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset
+cindent
-clientserver -clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info
+comments
+cryptv +cscope +cursorshape +dialog_con +diff +digraphs -dnd -ebcdic
+emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path
+find_in_path
+float +folding -footer +fork() +gettext -hangul_input -iconv
+insert_expand
+jumplist +keymap +langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds
+localmap
+menu +mksession +modify_fname +mouse -mouseshape +mouse_dec -
mouse_gpm
-mouse_jsbterm +mouse_netterm -mouse_sysmouse +mouse_xterm +multi_byte
+multi_lang -mzscheme -netbeans_intg -osfiletype +path_extra -perl
+postscript
+printer +profile -python +quickfix +reltime +rightleft -ruby
+scrollbind
+signs +smartindent -sniff +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax
+tag_binary
+tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse
+textobjects +title
 -toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra
+viminfo
+vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup -X11 -xfontset -
xim -xsmp
 -xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
   system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
     user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
      user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
  fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/share/vim"
Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2
Linking: gcc   -L/usr/local/lib -o vim.exe       -lm -lncurses  -lintl

Re: devanagari vim and word

Tony Mechelynck

On 12/10/08 10:37, miten wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I read that vim supports unicode editing so tried to enter utf-8
> characters using ctrl-v u followed by 4 digit hex code like
> 093f
> 092e
> 0947
> 0924
> 0928
>
> all on one line.  Of course the display was garbled but I assume thats
> how it looks on console.  I am on win xp with vim version as below.
>
> Before insert mode in command mode I have tried setting encoding and
> fileencoding to utf8.
>
> After saving file I try opening in Microsoft Word it correctly prompts
> me to pick file format but utf-8 and others dont render the text as
> appropriate.  I have Devanagari MT for IBM installed with MS Word so
> it should let me edit using devanagari font.
>
> Any idea what I need to do ?
>
> Below is detail of my vim version.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Miten Mehta

Many Windows programs, when told that a certain file is Unicode, assume
UTF-16 unless the file includes a BOM. So I recommend not only

        :set enc=utf-8
        :set fencs=ucs-bom,utf-8,default,latin1
        :set fenc=
but also
        :set bomb
or at least
        :setglobal bomb

Also, you should set 'termencoding' to whatever 'encoding' was set to at
Vim startup, before you changed it to UTF-8.

There is a Massachusetts law requiring all dogs to have their hind legs
tied during the month of April.