disappearing email

scott-268

i used to think i knew how to subscribe to email lists

maybe my mistake is "joining" the group in google using my
gmail account

give me strength lord

sc

Re: disappearing email

Tony Mechelynck

scott wrote:
> i used to think i knew how to subscribe to email lists
>
> maybe my mistake is "joining" the group in google using my
> gmail account
>
> give me strength lord
>
> sc

May the Force be with you ;-)

Me, I _stopped_ having problems when I configured both the Vim lists and my
mail client to use my (new) gmail account.

Are you seeing no list mail at all (from a given list) or just not what you
posted yourself? In the latter case, it seems that re-subscribing by clicking
the link in the confirmation email (rather than replying to it by email) might
be the answer. If you see no mail at all, it may be blocked by your ISP's spam
filters, in which case configuring your Google Groups to use your gmail
account, your gmail account to allow POP3 fetching, and your mail client to
use POP3 (with SSL from pop.gmail.com on port 995) might be the solution.

Organic chemistry is the chemistry of carbon compounds.  Biochemistry
is the study of carbon compounds that crawl.
                -- Mike Adams

Re: disappearing email

Elimar Riesebieter
On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 the mental interface of
Tony Mechelynck told:

> scott wrote:
> > i used to think i knew how to subscribe to email lists
> >
> > maybe my mistake is "joining" the group in google using my
> > gmail account
> >
> > give me strength lord
> >
> > sc
>
> May the Force be with you ;-)
>
> Me, I _stopped_ having problems when I configured both the Vim lists and my
> mail client to use my (new) gmail account.

Hmm, for me I am using my normal account. Have choosed a password
for may google group accounts, logged in [1] and told to send each
message to my choosen Email address which is _not_ a gmail one.

http://groups.google.de/group/vim_dev/subscribe
http://groups.google.de/group/vim_use/subscribe
http://groups.google.de/group/vim_announce/subscribe

Elimar

--
  It's a good thing we don't get all
  the government we pay for.

Re: disappearing email

Tony Mechelynck

Elimar Riesebieter wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 the mental interface of
> Tony Mechelynck told:
>
>> scott wrote:
>>> i used to think i knew how to subscribe to email lists
>>>
>>> maybe my mistake is "joining" the group in google using my
>>> gmail account
>>>
>>> give me strength lord
>>>
>>> sc
>> May the Force be with you ;-)
>>
>> Me, I _stopped_ having problems when I configured both the Vim lists and my
>> mail client to use my (new) gmail account.
>>
> Hmm, for me I am using my normal account. Have choosed a password
> for may google group accounts, logged in [1] and told to send each
> message to my choosen Email address which is _not_ a gmail one.
>
> http://groups.google.de/group/vim_dev/subscribe
> http://groups.google.de/group/vim_use/subscribe
> http://groups.google.de/group/vim_announce/subscribe
>
> Elimar

If it works for you (at lxtec.de), so much the better. I can only say what
worked or didn't work for me (at skynet.be). I suppose there are several
working configurations; let's hope everyone finds at least one that works for
him/her.

If you can't learn to do it well, learn to enjoy doing it badly.

Re: disappearing email

Matthew Winn-3

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 14:59:51 -0500, scott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> i used to think i knew how to subscribe to email lists
>
> maybe my mistake is "joining" the group in google using my
> gmail account

My own experiences:

Attempting to create a Google Groups account failed. It set up the
initial account, but wouldn't send me the confirmation email to verify
the address I'd used. My ISP doesn't block mail from Google; the
problem is that the mails were not being sent at all.

Subscribing via email appeared to work at first: Google sent back the
verification message and I replied to it, but nothing else happened.
I tried again and it said I was already subscribed, but no mailing
list messages came through.

So I unsubscribed by email, subscribed by email again, but this time
I verified the subscription by going to the URL mentioned in the
response instead of verifying by email. This worked, and I started
receiving list messages.

In short, the trick that worked for me was: subscribe by email, verify
by web.

> give me strength lord

I'm unimpressed by Google. The company acts like it's the saviour of
the Internet, but their staff can't even set up mailing list software.
I could do better than that.

--
Matthew Winn

Re: disappearing email

scott-268

On Sun, Jul 22, 2007 at 08:37:24AM +0100, Matthew Winn wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 14:59:51 -0500, scott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > i used to think i knew how to subscribe to email lists
> >
> > maybe my mistake is "joining" the group in google using my
> > gmail account
>
> My own experiences:
>
> Attempting to create a Google Groups account failed. It set up the
> initial account, but wouldn't send me the confirmation email to verify
> the address I'd used. My ISP doesn't block mail from Google; the
> problem is that the mails were not being sent at all.
>
> Subscribing via email appeared to work at first: Google sent back the
> verification message and I replied to it, but nothing else happened.
> I tried again and it said I was already subscribed, but no mailing
> list messages came through.
>
> So I unsubscribed by email, subscribed by email again, but this time
> I verified the subscription by going to the URL mentioned in the
> response instead of verifying by email. This worked, and I started
> receiving list messages.
>
> In short, the trick that worked for me was: subscribe by email, verify
> by web.
>
> > give me strength lord
>
> I'm unimpressed by Google. The company acts like it's the saviour of
> the Internet, but their staff can't even set up mailing list software.
> I could do better than that.

my new experience:

now i get everything twice -- once to my isp because i
appplied via email, and once to gmail because i told google
to email me there -- now i'm afraid to touch anything for
fear i'll go back to not getting any email

sc