dw but not dp

Mark Volkmann-2
Since dw deletes from the cursor position to the end of the current word, I assumed dp would delete from the cursor position to the end of the current paragraph. Instead I get "E99: Current buffer is not in diff mode". The only way I've found to do this is d/^$<cr>. Is there a better way?

--
R. Mark Volkmann
Object Computing, Inc.

Re: dw but not dp

Tim Chase
On 2015-06-20 13:58, Mark Volkmann wrote:
> Since dw deletes from the cursor position to the end of the current
> word, I assumed dp would delete from the cursor position to the end
> of the current paragraph. Instead I get "E99: Current buffer is not
> in diff mode". The only way I've found to do this is d/^$<cr>. Is
> there a better way?

"dp" is the command (in diff mode) to choose the text from the other
window in the current window.

It sounds like you want "d}" to delete to the end of the paragraph.

Re: dw but not dp

Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov
> Since dw deletes from the cursor position to the end of the current word, I
> assumed dp would delete from the cursor position to the end of the current

dw is the exception. Most of motions are either `i{char}`/`a{char}` or
just `{char}`, but not *both*.

> paragraph. Instead I get "E99: Current buffer is not in diff mode". The only
> way I've found to do this is d/^$<cr>. Is there a better way?

Specifically for paragraph there are more motions. Search for
`paragraph` in :h index.

> --
> R. Mark Volkmann
> Object Computing, Inc.

> ---
> email to [hidden email].

Re: dw but not dp

Enno
By the way, 'dV}' (and 'dV{') is the single case where the 'v/V/<c-v>' operator command happens to be used over here, especially when coding. I'm trying out

onoremap <expr> } &l:spell ? 'V}' : '}'
onoremap <expr> { &l:spell ? 'V{' : '{'