Quantcast

encoding file

Ni Va
Hi,

I am rreading some windows help in french and got a little pb.

Reading help of robocopy

   ROBOCOPY   ::   Copie de fichiers robuste pour Windows

  D<82>but<ff> instead of Début.

In my _vimrc i got these encoding settting :
set fileencodings=latin1,ucs-bom,utf-8,cp949,euc-kr

Thank for help

Re: encoding file

Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov

> I am rreading some windows help in french and got a little pb.
>
> Reading help of robocopy

>    ROBOCOPY   ::   Copie de fichiers robuste pour Windows
>
>   D<82>but<ff> instead of Début.
>

> In my _vimrc i got these encoding settting :
> set fileencodings=latin1,ucs-bom,utf-8,cp949,euc-kr

`:h 'fileencodings` clearly states that

1. Encodings are searched in order they are given.
2. First encoding which produces no conversion errors is the winner.

So when you use 8-bit encoding like `latin1` first you will never get
conversion errors, you can just as well use `set
fileencodings=latin1`. Also having two 8-bit encodings with full range
occupied is useless: not sure about `euc-kr`, but AFAIK you when you
try having `latin1` or `cp949` automatically detected you always get
whatever is the first of them in the list.

If encoding detection did not work, use `e ++enc=needed_encoding`, `:h ++opt`.