engspchk and encoding

Alan Schmitt
Hi,

I hope this is the right place to ask this question.

I am writing a paper in French, and I tried to use engpshk to check
the spelling. However my file is encoded as latin-9, and it seems
that engspchk uses a utf-8 word list to spell check, so every word
with an accent is displayed as wrongly spelled. Unfortunately I
cannot change the encoding of the file to utf-8 (which would be a
simple workaround).

I could not find in engspchk's help how to specify the encoding. Does
someone know how to work around this ?

Thanks a lot,

Alan Schmitt

--
The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool
happen.

PGP.sig (193 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: engspchk and encoding

Alan Schmitt
On 6 oct. 05, at 09:55, Dominic Evans wrote:

> I've not worked with foreign languages before but my suggestion:
>
> :set encoding=utf-8
> :w
>
> ^ might work? :)

Thanks for the suggestion, but the encoding is already utf-8, it's
the file encoding that is latin9.

Alan

On 6 oct. 05, at 10:56, Dominic Evans wrote:

> :help fileencoding
> "When 'fileencoding' is empty, the same value as 'encoding' will be
> used"
>
> I guess you originally wrote the file in something other than Vim
> then.
>
> Do :set encoding=utf-8 fileencoding=utf-8
>
> and then do a :w
This could be a solution if I was the only one working on the file.
Unfortunately it has to be in latin9.

I guess I could just switch to utf-8 for spell checking and switch
back to latin9 when I'm done, but it's a bit painful to do it all the
time.

Thanks a lot,

Alan

On 6 oct. 05, at 11:15, Raimon Grau wrote:

> VIM7 (alpha) has spell checking. It uses the same dictionaries as
> OpenOffice.
> I have tried spanish spell checking and it works fairly good.
>
> You can compile VIM7 from sources or download a fresh ready-to-use
> VIM7 for windows from Antoine's page http://users.skynet.be/
> antoine.mechelynck/vim/
>
> more info on
> :help spell.txt
Great, I should definitely try it. Is there a recent version
available of OS X Tiger? (The most recent I could find was compiled
in May).

Alan

--
The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool
happen.
.O.
..O
OOO

PGP.sig (193 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: engspchk and encoding

A.J.Mechelynck
Alan Schmitt wrote:

> On 6 oct. 05, at 11:15, Raimon Grau wrote:
>
>> VIM7 (alpha) has spell checking. It uses the same dictionaries as
>> OpenOffice.
>> I have tried spanish spell checking and it works fairly good.
>>
>> You can compile VIM7 from sources or download a fresh ready-to-use
>> VIM7 for windows from Antoine's page
>> http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/
>>
>> more info on
>> :help spell.txt
>
> Great, I should definitely try it. Is there a recent version available
> of OS X Tiger? (The most recent I could find was compiled in May).
>
> Alan
>
> --The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool
> happen.
> .O.
> ..O
> OOO

If you can compile it yourself (e.g., you have gcc and all the needed
"development" libraries needed), you can get the full source and
runtimes (for all supported platforms together -- the platform selection
is done at compile-time) in .zip format at
http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/snapshot/ There are new sources
every few days, be sure to get the newest ones.

Re: engspchk and encoding

Charles E Campbell Jr
Alan Schmitt wrote:

> I hope this is the right place to ask this question.
>
> I am writing a paper in French, and I tried to use engpshk to check
> the spelling. However my file is encoded as latin-9, and it seems
> that engspchk uses a utf-8 word list to spell check, so every word
> with an accent is displayed as wrongly spelled. Unfortunately I
> cannot change the encoding of the file to utf-8 (which would be a
> simple workaround).
>
> I could not find in engspchk's help how to specify the encoding. Does
> someone know how to work around this ?

I see you have or intend to switch to vim 7.0, so my note about this
missive may be moot.

I'm afraid that I haven't used multiple encodings much myself (Tony M is
much more
accomplished in that area than I).  However, I suspect you need to
convert the
frspchk.dict file to use latin-9 instead of utf-8.  I believe one of the
other emails told you how
to convert the file you're working on to utf-8,  so you should be able
to do it in the opposite
direction for frspchk.dict.  You could then either overwrite the
dictionary file or save it
with a new name (frspchk-L9.dict, say).

Regards,
Chip Campbell

Re: engspchk and encoding

Alan Schmitt
On 6 oct. 05, at 11:57, A. J. Mechelynck wrote:

> If you can compile it yourself (e.g., you have gcc and all the needed
> "development" libraries needed), you can get the full source and
> runtimes (for all supported platforms together -- the platform
> selection
> is done at compile-time) in .zip format at
> http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/snapshot/ There are new sources
> every few days, be sure to get the newest ones.

I was afraid this would be difficult to do, but I'm glad to report it
is not the case: it's really easy to compile Vim7 on OS X.

Thanks for pushing me into this direction ;-)

Alan