error list

Joseph Dornisch-2
Is there an easy way to dump the error list to the current vim buffer/window?

Actually, is there a general way to do this for other commands too?

So - I want to type something like ':clist/m 0' would be great

Re: error list

Yegappan Lakshmanan
Hi,

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 12:18 PM Joseph <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is there an easy way to dump the error list to the current vim buffer/window?

Actually, is there a general way to do this for other commands too?

So - I want to type something like ':clist/m 0' would be great

Are you looking for the following command?

   :call append(1, split(execute('clist'), "\n"))

or in insert mode, type the following:

   <C-R>=execute('clist')

and then hit Enter to insert the quickfix list contents.

- Yegappan

Re: error list

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 9:18 PM Joseph <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there an easy way to dump the error list to the current vim buffer/window?
>
> Actually, is there a general way to do this for other commands too?
>
> So - I want to type something like ':clist/m 0' would be great

1. Open the quickfix window
        :copen
2. Yank everything
        :1,$y
3. Close the quickfix window
        :cclose
4. Put, e.g.
        :0put

Re: error list

Lifepillar
On 2020-05-22, Joseph <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there an easy way to dump the error list to the current vim
> buffer/window?
>
> Actually, is there a general way to do this for other commands too?

I use this code, which you may adapt to your needs:

    " Send the output of a Vim command to a new scratch buffer.
    "
    " Example: :call lf_run#vim_cmd('digraphs')
    fun! lf_run#vim_cmd(cmd)
      botright 10new
      setlocal buftype=nofile bufhidden=wipe nobuflisted noswapfile nowrap
      call append(0, split(execute(a:cmd), "\n"))
    endf

    " Execute a Vim command and send the output to a new scratch buffer
    command! -complete=command -nargs=+ VimCmd call lf_run#vim_cmd(<q-args>)

So, try:

    :VimCmd clist

Hope this helps,
Life.

Re: error list

Joseph Dornisch-2
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. The other response mentioning copen will be useful, too.

Some how, I don't think I have never used the execute command in something close to using vim for 20 years.