errorformat for Visual Studio 2017

Efraim Yawitz
Hi,

I just solved a minor issue which someone else may have as well, so here it is:

I sometimes take the compiler output from Visual Studio and read it into Vim with a :cfile command so I can fix the errors in Vim.  I have been using

set errorformat=%*[0-9]%*[>]\ %#%f(%l)\ :\ %m

which someone on the list provided me with many years ago, and it worked fine in VS2008.

I just tried the same thing in VS2017, and I wasn't getting sent to any errors.
A comparison of the output format from VS2017 with that from VS2008 showed that the space before the colon after the file name has been removed, i.e.

VS2008:
1>c:\somepath\somefile.c(16) : warning C4101: 'var': unreferenced local variable

VS2017:
1>c:\somepath\somefile.c(16): warning C4101: 'var': unreferenced local variable

Changing to

set errorformat=%*[0-9]%*[>]\ %#%f(%l):\ %m

made it work again.

Of course, this may change again, but once you are aware of the issue it is possible to deal with it.

I hope this is helpful to someone.

Ephraim

Re: errorformat for Visual Studio 2017

Bram Moolenaar

Efraim Yawitz wrote:

> I just solved a minor issue which someone else may have as well, so here it
> is:
>
> I sometimes take the compiler output from Visual Studio and read it into
> Vim with a :cfile command so I can fix the errors in Vim.  I have been using
>
> set errorformat=%*[0-9]%*[>]\ %#%f(%l)\ :\ %m
>
> which someone on the list provided me with many years ago, and it worked
> fine in VS2008.
>
> I just tried the same thing in VS2017, and I wasn't getting sent to any
> errors.
> A comparison of the output format from VS2017 with that from VS2008 showed
> that the space before the colon after the file name has been removed, i.e.
>
> VS2008:
> 1>c:\somepath\somefile.c(16) : warning C4101: 'var': unreferenced local
> variable
>
> VS2017:
> 1>c:\somepath\somefile.c(16): warning C4101: 'var': unreferenced local
> variable
>
> Changing to
>
> set errorformat=%*[0-9]%*[>]\ %#%f(%l):\ %m
>
> made it work again.
>
> Of course, this may change again, but once you are aware of the issue it is
> possible to deal with it.
>
> I hope this is helpful to someone.

Thanks.  I'll adjust the default value for 'errorformat'.
Using  (%f) \=:  should work for both the old and the new compiler.

--
How come wrong numbers are never busy?