eviews and gretl syntax highlighting files

eviews and gretl syntax highlighting files

Vaidotas Zemlys-2
Hi,

I created syntax highlighting files for Eviews (http://www.eviews.com)
program files and for gretl (http://gretl.sf.net) scripts. Would it be
possible to include them to official vim distribution? I put the files
in http://uosis.mif.vu.lt/~zemlys/vim-syntax, there you can also find
the screenshots.

I'd also be happy to maintain them. If there are problems with these
files please tell me, I created them taking as an example vim syntax
file for R (http://www.r-project.org), so it is possible that I missed
something.

I also modified syntax file for R, but I cannot contact the maintainer
of r.vim file, since its mail address ([hidden email]) and the website
is nonexistent. What should I do, or what is usually done in this
situation? My modifications are minor, I just changed some colors and
added syntax highlighting for one syntax item. You can find the modified
syntax file and screenshot in the same place as others. While I do not
suggest simply taking my r.vim instead of the old one, I would like to
know if it is possible to modify filetype.vim file so that vim
automatically apply R syntax not only to files with extension .r, but
also to with extensions .R, .Rout, .Rhistory, .Rt, since you usually
will find  R code in such files.

If there are any questions, feel free to ask.

Vaidotas Zemlys

Re: eviews and gretl syntax highlighting files

Bram Moolenaar

Vaidotas Zemlys wrote:

> I created syntax highlighting files for Eviews (http://www.eviews.com)
> program files and for gretl (http://gretl.sf.net) scripts. Would it be
> possible to include them to official vim distribution? I put the files
> in http://uosis.mif.vu.lt/~zemlys/vim-syntax, there you can also find
> the screenshots.
>
> I'd also be happy to maintain them. If there are problems with these
> files please tell me, I created them taking as an example vim syntax
> file for R (http://www.r-project.org), so it is possible that I missed
> something.

You can e-mail syntax files to me.  Is it really necessary to set
the 'iskeyword' option?  Including '.' means "dw" also deletes the dot
after a word (e.g., in comments).

The extension *.prg is possibly used by other filetypes.  Is there a way
to recognize an eviews file from the contents?

> I also modified syntax file for R, but I cannot contact the maintainer
> of r.vim file, since its mail address ([hidden email]) and the website
> is nonexistent. What should I do, or what is usually done in this
> situation? My modifications are minor, I just changed some colors and
> added syntax highlighting for one syntax item. You can find the modified
> syntax file and screenshot in the same place as others. While I do not
> suggest simply taking my r.vim instead of the old one, I would like to
> know if it is possible to modify filetype.vim file so that vim
> automatically apply R syntax not only to files with extension .r, but
> also to with extensions .R, .Rout, .Rhistory, .Rt, since you usually
> will find  R code in such files.

Try this e-mail address: Tom Payne <[hidden email]>

44. Your friends no longer send you e-mail...they just log on to your IRC
    channel.

 \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://www.ICCF.nl         ///

On 1/11/06, Bram Moolenaar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You can e-mail syntax files to me.  Is it really necessary to set
> the 'iskeyword' option?  Including '.' means "dw" also deletes the dot
> after a word (e.g., in comments).

It makes sense, since in eviews variables can have methods, so when
deleting with dw
you will delete all eq.ls, instead of just eq, and leaving .ls alone.

This option was also set in R syntax file, where it is also makes
sense, since in R dot is valid character for variable names.

This option also aplies to gretl, since gretl's syntax resembles eviews'.

> The extension *.prg is possibly used by other filetypes.  Is there a way
> to recognize an eviews file from the contents?

I don't think there is, since eviews program file is just a bunch of
eviews commands, with no guaranty that some single word or expression
will certainly be in it.

> > I also modified syntax file for R, but I cannot contact the maintainer
> > of r.vim file, since its mail address ([hidden email]) and the website
> > is nonexistent. What should I do, or what is usually done in this
> > situation? My modifications are minor, I just changed some colors and
> > added syntax highlighting for one syntax item. You can find the modified
> > syntax file and screenshot in the same place as others. While I do not
> > suggest simply taking my r.vim instead of the old one, I would like to
> > know if it is possible to modify filetype.vim file so that vim
> > automatically apply R syntax not only to files with extension .r, but
> > also to with extensions .R, .Rout, .Rhistory, .Rt, since you usually
> > will find  R code in such files.
>
> Try this e-mail address: Tom Payne <[hidden email]>

Thanks, I'll try.

Vaidotas Zemlys