formatting problem with fo=aw

Gary Johnson
I've been using fo=aw when ft=mail so that paragraphs are
automatically reformatted as I edit them.  This has generally
worked well except for one major annoyance:  when I delete a
line or a paragraph, the line or paragraph immediately following is
reformatted.

For example, if I am composing a message which has my signature
appended as below, and I put the cursor somewhere in the last
paragraph which is separated from my signature by one or more empty
lines, and I type "dap", my signature will be reformatted to this:

-- Gary Johnson                 | Agilent Technologies
[hidden email]     | Wireless Division
                             | Spokane, Washington, USA

I can't imagine a scenario in which the the modification of a line
preceding a paragraph and not part of that paragraph (and not ending
in a space) would be expected to reformat that paragraph.
Consequently, I think the current behavior is a bug.  I am running
vim-6.4.

Gary