g flag in :s useless

dmbfm
Hey guys. I'm running vim 7.3.35 on Ubuntun 11.04. And when I type

:%s/this/that/

or

:%s/this/that/g

I get the same result, i.e., it always replaces every 'this' in the file for 'that'. Shouldn't the fist command
replace only the first occurance of 'that'?

Thanks,

here's my .vimrc:

--------

" An example for a vimrc file.
"
" Maintainer: Bram Moolenaar <Bram@vim.org>
" Last change: 2008 Dec 17
"
" To use it, copy it to
"     for Unix and OS/2:  ~/.vimrc
"      for Amiga:  s:.vimrc
"  for MS-DOS and Win32:  $VIM\_vimrc
"    for OpenVMS:  sys$login:.vimrc

" When started as "evim", evim.vim will already have done these settings.
if v:progname =~? "evim"
  finish
endif

" Use Vim settings, rather than Vi settings (much better!).
" This must be first, because it changes other options as a side effect.
set nocompatible

" allow backspacing over everything in insert mode
set backspace=indent,eol,start

if has("vms")
  set nobackup " do not keep a backup file, use versions instead
else
  set backup " keep a backup file
endif
set history=50 " keep 50 lines of command line history
set ruler " show the cursor position all the time
set showcmd " display incomplete commands
set incsearch " do incremental searching

" For Win32 GUI: remove 't' flag from 'guioptions': no tearoff menu entries
" let &guioptions = substitute(&guioptions, "t", "", "g")

" Don't use Ex mode, use Q for formatting
map Q gq

" CTRL-U in insert mode deletes a lot.  Use CTRL-G u to first break undo,
" so that you can undo CTRL-U after inserting a line break.
inoremap <C-U> <C-G>u<C-U>

" In many terminal emulators the mouse works just fine, thus enable it.
if has('mouse')
  set mouse=a
endif

" Switch syntax highlighting on, when the terminal has colors
" Also switch on highlighting the last used search pattern.
if &t_Co > 2 || has("gui_running")
  syntax on
  set hlsearch
endif

" Only do this part when compiled with support for autocommands.
if has("autocmd")

  " Enable file type detection.
  " Use the default filetype settings, so that mail gets 'tw' set to 72,
  " 'cindent' is on in C files, etc.
  " Also load indent files, to automatically do language-dependent indenting.
  filetype plugin indent on

  " Put these in an autocmd group, so that we can delete them easily.
  augroup vimrcEx
  au!

  " For all text files set 'textwidth' to 78 characters.
  autocmd FileType text setlocal textwidth=78

  " When editing a file, always jump to the last known cursor position.
  " Don't do it when the position is invalid or when inside an event handler
  " (happens when dropping a file on gvim).
  " Also don't do it when the mark is in the first line, that is the default
  " position when opening a file.
  autocmd BufReadPost *
    \ if line("'\"") > 1 && line("'\"") <= line("$") |
    \   exe "normal! g`\"" |
    \ endif

  augroup END

else

  set autoindent " always set autoindenting on

endif " has("autocmd")

" Convenient command to see the difference between the current buffer and the
" file it was loaded from, thus the changes you made.
" Only define it when not defined already.
if !exists(":DiffOrig")
  command DiffOrig vert new | set bt=nofile | r # | 0d_ | diffthis
                  \ | wincmd p | diffthis
endif

set grepprg=grep\ -nh\ $*
let g:tex_flavor='latex'
set number

Re: g flag in :s useless

Tim Chase
On 09/08/11 16:39, dmbfm wrote:

> Hey guys. I'm running vim 7.3.35 on Ubuntun 11.04. And when I
> type
>
> :%s/this/that/
>
> or
>
> :%s/this/that/g
>
> I get the same result, i.e., it always replaces every 'this'
> in the file for 'that'. Shouldn't the fist command replace
> only the first occurance of 'that'?

The /g flag impacts multiple matches on the *same line* rather
than all the matches in the file...just to be sure, if your text is

   a little of this and some of this
   and some of this and more of this

issuing your first command should change it to

   a little of that and some of this
   and some of that and more of this

whereas your 2nd command should change it to

   a little of that and some of that
   and some of that and more of that

The /g flag means that it it replaces all the matches on the same
line.  If you only want to do the first match in the file you can use

   :0/this/s//that

If you want just the next one after the cursor (including the
current line) you can use

   :-/this/s//that

and if you want to start looking after the current line, just
remove the "-" from that.

While I didn't see anything of the like in your vimrc, there are
a couple options that trigger non-default behaviors with those
flags, so you might also check the output of

   :set gdefault? edcompatible?

Both are generally discouraged for the havoc they cause in all
sorts of places.