gVim under Linux starts too low when it is configured to take all vertical space.

gVim under Linux starts too low when it is configured to take all vertical space.

Hans Deragon
For some odd reason, when I am staring gVim on my Linux Ubuntu 16.04 LTS laptop using the Unity desktop, it starts to low when I am asking it to take all the vertical space available.  It starts at position y=53 while it should start at y=24, just below the desktop's menu bar (it is 29 pixels too low).  The length of the window is fine and well within the screen height once I move it at its proper place.

It is the only application that shows this behavior.  All the other applications start at a proper height, just under the menu bar.  This suggest that this has something to do with gVim.

It used to work properly in 14.04.  I cannot recall exactly when this started.  Not sure if that problem occurred as soon as I upgraded to 16.04 or if it happened later.

Following, the .vimrc used for reproducing the problem:

winpos 0 0
set lines=999 " 999 = take all the vertical space.
winpos 0 0
" Window position report at this point: X 0, Y 53

This occurs with the latest code found in the git repository, as of 2017-02-14 04:27:56 EST.

Best regards,
Hans Deragon

Re: gVim under Linux starts too low when it is configured to take all vertical space.

Tony Mechelynck
On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 10:44 AM, Hans Deragon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For some odd reason, when I am staring gVim on my Linux Ubuntu 16.04 LTS laptop using the Unity desktop, it starts to low when I am asking it to take all the vertical space available.  It starts at position y=53 while it should start at y=24, just below the desktop's menu bar (it is 29 pixels too low).  The length of the window is fine and well within the screen height once I move it at its proper place.
>
> It is the only application that shows this behavior.  All the other applications start at a proper height, just under the menu bar.  This suggest that this has something to do with gVim.
>
> It used to work properly in 14.04.  I cannot recall exactly when this started.  Not sure if that problem occurred as soon as I upgraded to 16.04 or if it happened later.
>
> Following, the .vimrc used for reproducing the problem:
>

> winpos 0 0
> set lines=999 " 999 = take all the vertical space.
> winpos 0 0
> " Window position report at this point: X 0, Y 53
>

> This occurs with the latest code found in the git repository, as of 2017-02-14 04:27:56 EST.
>
> Best regards,
> Hans Deragon

Works for me on openSUSE Linux (currently openSUSE Leap 42.2) in gvim
for GTK3 (and previously for GTK2) with the following in my vimrc:

if has('gui_running')
  " 'guioptions': GUI options
  " ¬a: no autoselect for "+
  " ¬P: ditto for "*
  " ¬A: ditto for modeless selection
  "  c: use console dialogs (not popup dialogs) for simple choices
  " ¬e: use text-style, tabs even in the GUI
  " ¬f: use fork() to start the GUI
  "  i: use a GUI icon if possible
  "  m: menu bar is present
  " ¬M: source $VIMRUNTIME/menu.vim
  "  g: inactive menuitems are shown (greyed-off)
  "  t: include tearoff menuitems
  "  T: include toolbar
  "  r: right-hand scrollbar is always present
  " ¬R: not only when vertically split
  " ¬l: left-hand scrollbar is not always present
  "  L: only when vertically split
  " ¬b: no bottom scrollbar
  " ¬h: bottom scrollbar is not limited to size of cursor line
  " ¬v: do not force vertical button layout in dialogs
  "  p: do not include X11 pointer callbacks (required by some WMs)
  " ¬F: don't add a Footer (Motif-only)
  set guioptions=cgimrLtTp
  " start maximized
  set lines=999 columns=9999
  if exists('+toolbariconsize')
    set tbis=tiny
  endif
  set guifont=Bitstream\ Vera\ Sans\ Mono\ 8
endif " gui_running

N.B.
     1. "Include tearoff menuitems" doesn't work anymore.
     2. All this is done in the .vimrc, i.e. before starting the GUI,
and remembered until the GUI is started.
     3. I do not set :winpos, I let the GUI find its own place;
finding out the results gives:

:echo getwinposx() getwinposy()
  0 27
:verbose set lines? columns?
  lines=68
        Last set from ~/.vimrc
  columns=180
        Last set from ~/.vimrc

N.B. winposy() == 27 places the gvim GUI just below the window
manager's toolbar showing date, time, current GUI program, etc.

Re: gVim under Linux starts too low when it is configured to take all vertical space.

Hans Deragon
> Works for me on openSUSE Linux (currently openSUSE Leap 42.2) in gvim
> for GTK3 (and previously for GTK2) with the following in my vimrc:

Well, it looks like it is a problem with my particular setup / window manager.  I should write to vim's developer group to see if someone can help me find the source of the problem by activating some traces.

Thank you for your kind reply.
Hans Deragon