gVim with Mac OS X

Vlad Ghitulescu
Hello!

After using gVim with Windows (XP and 2000) and Linux I want to use it
now also with my Mac (OS X 10.3, Panther).

I have some questions:

1.- How can I edit my .vimrc? I cannot see it in Finder, I can only
change something in it when choosing Edit-Preferences-Edit .vimrc for
future sessions :-(

2.- How can I make a tilde with the Mac-keyboard? :-((

3.- Where are all my config-files and -folders (like colors, plugin
etc.)?! :-(((

Sorry for all the silly questions ... but I still hope, you can help me
:-)

Thanks!

Regards,
Vlad

+++ GMX - die erste Adresse f?r Mail, Message, More +++

Re: gVim with Mac OS X

John (Eljay) Love-Jensen
Hi Vlad,

>1.- How can I edit my .vimrc?

You can...

Start gVim, and press
:e ~/.vimrc

Or you can start up Terminal.app, and run "vi ~/.vimrc".

(I use Terminal.app.)

>2.- How can I make a tilde with the Mac-keyboard?

On my U.S. Keyboard, the grave/tilde key is the next key to the immediate left of the one/bang key.

>3.- Where are all my config-files and -folders (like colors, plugin etc.)?

From within Vim or gVim, do this...
:echo $VIMRUNTIME

HTH,
--Eljay

Re: gVim with Mac OS X

James Vega-3
On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 01:53:45PM -0500, Eljay Love-Jensen wrote:
> >3.- Where are all my config-files and -folders (like colors, plugin etc.)?
>
> From within Vim or gVim, do this...
> :echo $VIMRUNTIME

You can also make those directories in ~/.vim for personal
customization, just like any other *nix OS.

James
--
GPG Key: 1024D/61326D40 2003-09-02 James Vega <[hidden email]>

Re: gVim with Mac OS X

Alan Schmitt
Le 6 juil. 05 à 20:19, Vlad Ghitulescu a écrit :

2.- How can I make a tilde with the Mac-keyboard? :-((

It really depends on the keyboard. If it's configured as qwerty (or dvorak), then ~ is in the lower left key (just right of shift). Otherwise you might have to do "alt-N space" (this is what's needed for French keyboards, for instance).

One really easy way to find how to do the keys is:
- open the system Preferences
- choose "International"
- go to "Input menu" (I don't know the English denomination for it, it's the rightmost tab)
- activate "keyboard visualizer" there and "display the input menu"
- in the newly appeared menu item (which should reflect your current layout), choose the "keyboard visualizer", you'll then see what each key does, by itself, when pressing shift, or alt, etc...

HTH,

Alan Schmitt

PGP.sig (193 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: gVim with Mac OS X

Alan Schmitt
Le 7 juil. 05 à 09:34, Alan Schmitt a écrit :

> Le 6 juil. 05 à 20:19, Vlad Ghitulescu a écrit :
>
>> 2.- How can I make a tilde with the Mac-keyboard? :-((
>
> It really depends on the keyboard. If it's configured as qwerty (or
> dvorak), then ~ is in the lower left key (just right of shift).

Sorry for replying to my own message, but I just realized that the ~
key is there _for an azerty keyboard configured as qwerty or dvorak_.
If your keyboard physical layout is qwerty, it is not there.

(Not only keyboard mappings differ from country to country, but the
actual physical layout is also different ... there are more keys on a
French azerty keyboard than on an American qwerty, for instance.
Crazy world).

Alan

PGP.sig (193 bytes) Download Attachment