gdb and vim7a

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

gdb and vim7a

Aaron Griffin
I'm a bit curious.  I've seen a handful of gdb plugins for vim, but
none seem to really work "out of the box" - what do you all use to
debug your apps, and what do you think is the cleanest interface?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gdb and vim7a

Aaron Griffin
On 10/24/05, Aaron Griffin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm a bit curious.  I've seen a handful of gdb plugins for vim, but
> none seem to really work "out of the box" - what do you all use to
> debug your apps, and what do you think is the cleanest interface?
>

Ummm, self-bump - does no one run gdb from within vim?  I tried out
vimDebug, and it seems to work well, for the most part....

Maybe I'll make my own plugin, with the ability to view the stack and
registers in preview windows.... pipe dreams are always fun.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gdb and vim7a

Edward Ash
In reply to this post by Aaron Griffin
I use gdbvim, it can be found at http://www.volny.cz/zellerin/gdbvim/.
There are several hacks to it that can be found at www.vim.org, and in
this mailing list to add new features to it.  I haven't tried it in vim
7 yet, so I don't know if it works there or not.

> On 10/24/05, Aaron Griffin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I'm a bit curious.  I've seen a handful of gdb plugins for vim, but
> > none seem to really work "out of the box" - what do you all use to
> > debug your apps, and what do you think is the cleanest interface?
> >
>
> Ummm, self-bump - does no one run gdb from within vim?  I tried out
> vimDebug, and it seems to work well, for the most part....
>
> Maybe I'll make my own plugin, with the ability to view the stack and
> registers in preview windows.... pipe dreams are always fun.
>
>

--

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gdb and vim7a

Edward L. Fox
Hi VIMmers and gdb users,

2005/10/27, Edward Ash <[hidden email]>:
> I use gdbvim, it can be found at http://www.volny.cz/zellerin/gdbvim/.

The author of that extension said that he doesn't work with C or C++ these
days and has no time to maintain the extension. So he authorized me to be the
maintainer of the extension. I created a new entry of this extension at VIM's
website. Follow this link for more information:

http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=1386

Rate it for me if it does anything help. :-)

> There are several hacks to it that can be found at www.vim.org, and in
> this mailing list to add new features to it.  I haven't tried it in vim
> 7 yet, so I don't know if it works there or not.

I'm using VIM 7. It works. In fact, I'm developing the extension under VIM 7.
I hope it works well too under VIM 6. :-)

> [...]


Regards,


Edward L. Fox
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gdb and vim7a

Edward Ash
In reply to this post by Aaron Griffin
Can you incorporate this tip into gdbvim?
http://vim.sourceforge.net/tips/tip.php?tip_id=357

Thanks,
Eddie

> Hi VIMmers and gdb users,
>
> 2005/10/27, Edward Ash <[hidden email]>:
> > I use gdbvim, it can be found at http://www.volny.cz/zellerin/gdbvim/.
>
> The author of that extension said that he doesn't work with C or C++ these
> days and has no time to maintain the extension. So he authorized me to
be the
> maintainer of the extension. I created a new entry of this extension
at VIM's

> website. Follow this link for more information:
>
> http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=1386
>
> Rate it for me if it does anything help. :-)
>
> > There are several hacks to it that can be found at www.vim.org, and in
> > this mailing list to add new features to it.  I haven't tried it in vim
> > 7 yet, so I don't know if it works there or not.
>
> I'm using VIM 7. It works. In fact, I'm developing the extension under
VIM 7.

> I hope it works well too under VIM 6. :-)
>
> > [...]
>
>
> Regards,
>
>
> Edward L. Fox
>
>

--

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gdb and vim7a

Aaron Griffin
Yes that tip would be great - it'd be real nice too, if you could
incorporate stack and register views into a preview window or
something.

On 10/27/05, Edward Ash <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can you incorporate this tip into gdbvim?
> http://vim.sourceforge.net/tips/tip.php?tip_id=357
>
> Thanks,
> Eddie
>
> > Hi VIMmers and gdb users,
> >
> > 2005/10/27, Edward Ash <[hidden email]>:
> > > I use gdbvim, it can be found at http://www.volny.cz/zellerin/gdbvim/.
> >
> > The author of that extension said that he doesn't work with C or C++ these
> > days and has no time to maintain the extension. So he authorized me to
> be the
> > maintainer of the extension. I created a new entry of this extension
> at VIM's
> > website. Follow this link for more information:
> >
> > http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=1386
> >
> > Rate it for me if it does anything help. :-)
> >
> > > There are several hacks to it that can be found at www.vim.org, and in
> > > this mailing list to add new features to it.  I haven't tried it in vim
> > > 7 yet, so I don't know if it works there or not.
> >
> > I'm using VIM 7. It works. In fact, I'm developing the extension under
> VIM 7.
> > I hope it works well too under VIM 6. :-)
> >
> > > [...]
> >
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> >
> > Edward L. Fox
> >
> >
>
> --
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gdb and vim7a

Edward L. Fox
In reply to this post by Edward Ash
Hi Eddie,

2005/10/28, Edward Ash <[hidden email]>:
> Can you incorporate this tip into gdbvim?
> http://vim.sourceforge.net/tips/tip.php?tip_id=357

I'd read it. I'll try to merge these code into gdbvim in this weekend.

> [...]


Regards,

Edward L. Fox
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gdb and vim7a

Edward L. Fox
In reply to this post by Aaron Griffin
Hi Aaron,

2005/10/28, Aaron Griffin <[hidden email]>:
> Yes that tip would be great - it'd be real nice too, if you could
> incorporate stack and register views into a preview window or
> something.

This feature requires a lot of work and I'm so sorry to say that but I'm not
going to do it these days. Maybe I'll work on these issues after I finish these
two jobs:

1. Re-write gdbvim with Python. I'm too weak in Perl and this script bothers
me so much. I think I should use some other languages that I'm familiar with.
Then I'll able to do more complex work with it.

2. Supports gdb under f* Windoze. Though this work sucks, it's really
important.

After these two jobs, I think I'll be free to do more jobs later on. And your
required feature will be added then. Thanks for your suggestion.

> [...]


Regards,

Edward L. Fox
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gdb and vim7a

Vincent Wang-2
Edward L. Fox wrote:

>Hi Aaron,
>
>2005/10/28, Aaron Griffin <[hidden email]>:
>  
>
>>Yes that tip would be great - it'd be real nice too, if you could
>>incorporate stack and register views into a preview window or
>>something.
>>    
>>
>
>This feature requires a lot of work and I'm so sorry to say that but I'm not
>going to do it these days. Maybe I'll work on these issues after I finish these
>two jobs:
>
>1. Re-write gdbvim with Python. I'm too weak in Perl and this script bothers
>me so much. I think I should use some other languages that I'm familiar with.
>Then I'll able to do more complex work with it.
>
>2. Supports gdb under f* Windoze. Though this work sucks, it's really
>important.
>
>After these two jobs, I think I'll be free to do more jobs later on. And your
>required feature will be added then. Thanks for your suggestion.
>
>  
>
Waiting for this for a long time ...

One suggestion: hope this plugin can support more debuggers, like pdb etc

Thanks


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gdb and vim7a

Aaron Griffin
In reply to this post by Edward L. Fox
On 10/27/05, Edward L. Fox <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Aaron,
> 1. Re-write gdbvim with Python. I'm too weak in Perl and this script bothers
> me so much. I think I should use some other languages that I'm familiar with.
> Then I'll able to do more complex work with it.

I was planning on this myself - biggest problem is the actual driving
of gdb via python - popen() [2,3,4] doesn't work quite right because
you must either know the length of the data  or close the stdin to the
child - only way I know if to use the in/out fifo trick with a nice
fork

> 2. Supports gdb under f* Windoze. Though this work sucks, it's really
> important.

I would just require cygwin, which would work fine.  This also opens
up the above, because os.mkfifo doesn't work on windows python, but it
does work on cygwin's python.

If you'd like to collaborate on this, I'd be willing to help out,
though my time is probably much more limited than yours.

- Aaron
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gdb and vim7a

Edward L. Fox
Hi Aaron,

I don't have Windoze these days and I'm going to borrow a computer with
Windoze installed in it soon. So I can't start the work immediately. Thanks
very much for your hard working!

2005/10/28, Aaron Griffin <[hidden email]>:
> On 10/27/05, Edward L. Fox <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [..]
> I was planning on this myself - biggest problem is the actual driving
> of gdb via python - popen() [2,3,4] doesn't work quite right because
> you must either know the length of the data  or close the stdin to the
> child - only way I know if to use the in/out fifo trick with a nice
> fork

I'm curious about what's wrong with popen2/3/4 because I don't have Windoze
now. popen2/3/4 doesn't need the length of the input data, but only the
_buffer size_ of the pipe. I think child_stdin, child_stdout and child_stderr
can work.

> [..]
> I would just require cygwin, which would work fine.  This also opens
> up the above, because os.mkfifo doesn't work on windows python, but it
> does work on cygwin's python.

I don't think using cygwin is a good idea because I often want to debug native
Windoze applications which compiled with MinGW. I don't know whether the gdb
for cygwin works. But I really think that cygwin is much bigger than MinGW.
If possible, I prefer _native_ Windoze version.

> If you'd like to collaborate on this, I'd be willing to help out,
> though my time is probably much more limited than yours.

Thanks very much!

With your help, the work can be done faster and better.

> - Aaron


Regards,

Edward L. Fox