getftype()

Jeff Lanzarotta
Hello,

Is there a compariable function for getftype() in vim 6.3 or 6.4? It
seems like getftype() is only in vim 7.x...

Thanks,

-Jeff

Re: getftype()

A.J.Mechelynck
Jeff Lanzarotta wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there a compariable function for getftype() in vim 6.3 or 6.4? It
> seems like getftype() is only in vim 7.x...
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Jeff

Yes, getftype() is new in 7.0; 6.4 is announced but not yet out (beta on
Oct 6/7, release foreseen about one week later) so it's anyone's guess
what will be included. I guess getftype() will, but that's only a guess;
ask Bram if you want to be sure.

On Unix-like systems (including Vim for Cygwin), you might try using
system("ls -1F pathfilename") and extracting the postfixed character
from the result (* for executables, / for directories, @ for symlinks, |
for FIFOs, = for sockets, otherwise nothing). On non-Cygwin Windows you
might do something similar with "dir" but AFAIK only directories and
files can be reliably discriminated.