guifont++.vim fails on mswin32 after upgrading from vim 6.2. to 6.3

guifont++.vim fails on mswin32 after upgrading from vim 6.2. to 6.3

Jeff Holt
I'm seeing odd behavior in guifont++.vim, on windoze, after upgrading from vim 6.2 to 6.3. When I press the mapped keys ('-' for smaller font size and '+' for larger font size) nothing happens unless I then press some other key, say, the '+' key. When I press '+' twice, this is what I see on the vim command line:

   :call SetLargerFont()+

   If I press the '+' followed by '=', then I see this instead:
  :call SetLargerFont()=

   Before the upgrade, I backed up _vimrc and plugin/guifont++.vim. After the upgrade I reinstalled these two files. After seeing this odd behavior I uninstalled the product, rebooted, removed the remaining dll and then performed an install from scratch. Doing so had no noticeable effect. I redownloaded the plugin even though it hasn't changed since I first downloaded it. Again, no noticeable effect.

   Following is the content of my _vimrc file:
   set guioptions=gmLtT
   set nocompatible
   set tabstop=4
   set syn=off
   set guifont=Lucida_Console:h8:cANSI
   let guifontpp_size_increment=1
   set nocompatible

   Removing my _vimrc file had no noticeable effect on guifont++.vim although there were other expected effects

RE: guifont++.vim fails on mswin32 after upgrading from vim 6.2. to 6.3

Jeff Holt
Second request.

Re: guifont++.vim fails on mswin32 after upgrading from vim 6.2. to 6.3

Aaron Griffin
Ummm, why not talk to the maintainer of the plugin... in case you're
unable to do this youself, here's the relevant information:
http://www.vim.org/account/profile.php?user_id=1857

For the record, that script hasn't been updated in 2 years.

On 7/6/05, Jeff Holt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Second request.

Sure, but you can't expect vim to maintain internals from version to
version because of one script - if the internals changed and something
doesn't work, that something needs to be changed - it seriously can't
be that hard to modify this plugin..

RE: guifont++.vim fails on mswin32 after upgrading from vim 6.2. to 6.3

Jeff Holt
I think that most people, whether consciously or not, expect certain behavior if features aren't being added. In the few mouse clicks I attempted I found no CHANGES document for the difference between 6.2 and 6.3 and so I don't know if only bugs were fixed in 6.3. If only bugs were fixed, then I think it makes PERFECT sense to expect internals to be maintained. That's the whole point of professional software development.

 But even if features were added to 6.3 or if internals shouldn't be maintained, then how am I to know what to do unless I ask the masses?

 If I created my own problem, then I'll deal with it. If others experience the same thing as me, then there's a good chance that the solution is already there.

  In either case, I have no other reasonable course but to ask. The lack of a response means I have to ask again or make an assumption. I don't have time for assumptions.

 But then again, maybe I should just use notepad.

On 7/6/05, Jeff Holt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You've mentioned the EXACT reason why I didn't contact the author/maintainer. If the code
> hasn't changed but the version of vim did, then surely the cause is core vim, not the plugin!

Sure, but you can't expect vim to maintain internals from version to
version because of one script - if the internals changed and something
doesn't work, that something needs to be changed - it seriously can't
be that hard to modify this plugin..

Re: guifont++.vim fails on mswin32 after upgrading from vim 6.2. to 6.3

James Vega-3
On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 11:18:42AM -0500, Jeff Holt wrote:
> I think that most people, whether consciously or not, expect certain
> behavior if features aren't being added. In the few mouse clicks I
> attempted I found no CHANGES document for the difference between 6.2
> and 6.3 and so I don't know if only bugs were fixed in 6.3. If only
> bugs were fixed, then I think it makes PERFECT sense to expect
> internals to be maintained. That's the whole point of professional
> software development.

:help version-6.3

> [snip]
>  But then again, maybe I should just use notepad.

Do you honestly think anyone cares what editor you use?  Use what you
want to.  If you use Vim, we'll help answer your questions.  If you use
something else, have fun.

James
--
GPG Key: 1024D/61326D40 2003-09-02 James Vega <[hidden email]>

RE: guifont++.vim fails on mswin32 after upgrading from vim 6.2. to 6.3

Jeff Holt
You must be kidding. I was trying to be a smartass because Aaron was acting like an idiot instead of being just the least bit compassionate (go bother the plugin owner and leave us alone).

 By the way, I just fixed my problem. I had created a new environment variable VIM and added %VIM% to my PATH. If I had chosen another name for the variable, then I would not have had the problem.

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 11:18:42AM -0500, Jeff Holt wrote:
> I think that most people, whether consciously or not, expect certain
> behavior if features aren't being added. In the few mouse clicks I
> attempted I found no CHANGES document for the difference between 6.2
> and 6.3 and so I don't know if only bugs were fixed in 6.3. If only
> bugs were fixed, then I think it makes PERFECT sense to expect
> internals to be maintained. That's the whole point of professional
> software development.

:help version-6.3