gvim and sliding command output animation

gvim and sliding command output animation

Steven Holt
Commands such as :reg, :ls and :grep/:cl often produce a long output
which can take all 1080 pixels of my screen (in height).

In terminal vim, the screen is instantly refreshed and the entire output
becomes visible replacing the normal window content.

In gvim, the output is sliding line by line from the status line to the
top window edge which takes maybe a second or two during which I can do
nothing but stare at this useless animation (which is also hard on my eyes).

Is there some preference controlling such behaviour which I can disable
and make the output appear immediately?

Re: gvim and sliding command output animation

John Little-4
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 9:58:54 PM UTC+13, Steven Holt wrote:
> In gvim, the output is sliding line by line from the status line to the
> top window edge which takes maybe a second or two ...

I don't see this, gvim 8.1.0438 Huge version with GTK2 GUI, on Kubuntu 18.04. :ls on 116 buffers and a vertically maximized gvim is imperceptible. (If I maximize horizontally as well, I get an annoying status line flash ⅓ and ⅔ up, but it's quick.)

So, what OS, DE, and vim version?

On 14.10.2018 13:19, John Little wrote:
> On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 9:58:54 PM UTC+13, Steven Holt wrote:
>> In gvim, the output is sliding line by line from the status line
>> to the top window edge which takes maybe a second or two ...
>
> I don't see this, gvim 8.1.0438 Huge version with GTK2 GUI, on
> Kubuntu 18.04. :ls on 116 buffers and a vertically maximized gvim is
> imperceptible. (If I maximize horizontally as well, I get an annoying
> status line flash ⅓ and ⅔ up, but it's quick.)
Now that I've recorded a video I see it's also quite quick (less than a
second) but when I'm in the middle of a work it feels very different.

> So, what OS, DE, and vim version?
Arch, i3, gvim 8.1. Attached full --version output.

Also attached screen recording of how it works for me (gvim -u NONE -U
NONE). Near the end of the video when I :cl twice you can clearly see
that the more prompt is sliding up with several distinct steps. I'm sure
it's an animation done on purpose, not screen redraw issues because
other operations such as resizing windows (I did ^w-_ and ^w-r at the
end of the video) are instant (and because terminal :cl is equally
instant even if made fullscreen).

Any thoughts?

gvim --version.txt (5K) Download Attachment
screen rec.ogv (5M) Download Attachment

Re: gvim and sliding command output animation

Steven Holt
I have noticed that output of :messages appears instantly, unlike the
sliding output of :reg, :ls, :cl, etc. etc. I'm puzzled because
:messages seems to be using the same 'more' pager so why this difference?

On Wednesday, October 17, 2018 at 9:28:41 PM UTC+13, Steven Holt wrote:
> Any thoughts?

I'm sorry I'm not much help.  Originally I thought I'd just pop up and ask the obvious questions (version, OS, DE).

I simply don't understand your sureness "it's an animation done on purpose".  gvim is a very thin skin on terminal vim, especially for the main text area.  Your video plays very quickly for me, I have to play it at half speed to notice anything.

I suggest you try a vim GTK2 version.  I've fired up a GTK3 vim here and it seems a little slower, but nothing worth your complaint.  AFAIK GTK3 adds nothing to vim, though some theming might work differently.

You might try changing the font, or some graphics setting of your set-up, like the rendering backend your compositor uses.  You didn't mention your DE, that is Gnome, KDE, XFCE, et cetera.  Conceivably another DE might drive your hardware better.

If your eyes are hurting, and you normally use white or light backgrounds, IMO dark backgrounds (preferably black for text) are far easier on the eyes.

To make progress on what's actually going on you'd have to start profiling vim, a lot of work with little prospect of achieving anything.

Regards, John Little

On 18.10.2018 11:40, John Little wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 17, 2018 at 9:28:41 PM UTC+13, Steven Holt
> wrote:
>> Any thoughts?
>
> I'm sorry I'm not much help.  Originally I thought I'd just pop up
> and ask the obvious questions (version, OS, DE).
>
> I simply don't understand your sureness "it's an animation done on
> purpose".
It's mainly due to the fact that :messages open instantly while other
(:cl, etc.) open with a sliding animation.

If it was due to the compositor, GTK version or other global property of
my system, would not :messages suffer from the same issue as :cl? This
is my reasoning.

> gvim is a very thin skin on terminal vim, especially for the main
> text area.  Your video plays very quickly for me, I have to play it
> at half speed to notice anything.
>
> I suggest you try a vim GTK2 version.  I've fired up a GTK3 vim here
>  and it seems a little slower, but nothing worth your complaint.
> AFAIK GTK3 adds nothing to vim, though some theming might work
> differently.
>
> You might try changing the font, or some graphics setting of your
> set-up, like the rendering backend your compositor uses. You didn't
> mention your DE, that is Gnome, KDE, XFCE, et cetera.
I've mentioned it. My DE is i3, i3wm.org.

> Conceivably another DE might drive your hardware better.
>
> If your eyes are hurting, and you normally use white or light
> backgrounds, IMO dark backgrounds (preferably black for text) are far
> easier on the eyes.
>
> To make progress on what's actually going on you'd have to start
> profiling vim, a lot of work with little prospect of achieving
> anything.
>
> Regards, John Little

I see, thanks for your feedback, John.

On Thursday, October 18, 2018 at 11:13:21 PM UTC+13, Steven Holt wrote:

> I've mentioned it. My DE is i3, i3wm.org.

Sorry, I saw i3, and without thinking assumed it meant an Intel i3 CPU.  It's a very long time since I used a tiling window manager.

Regards, John Little

Re: gvim and sliding command output animation

Oliver Knodel
Am Donnerstag, 18. Oktober 2018 12:13:21 UTC+2 schrieb Steven Holt:

> On 18.10.2018 11:40, John Little wrote:
> > On Wednesday, October 17, 2018 at 9:28:41 PM UTC+13, Steven Holt
> > wrote:
> >> Any thoughts?
> >
> > I'm sorry I'm not much help.  Originally I thought I'd just pop up
> > and ask the obvious questions (version, OS, DE).
> >
> > I simply don't understand your sureness "it's an animation done on
> > purpose".
> It's mainly due to the fact that :messages open instantly while other
> (:cl, etc.) open with a sliding animation.
>
> If it was due to the compositor, GTK version or other global property of
> my system, would not :messages suffer from the same issue as :cl? This
> is my reasoning.
>
> > gvim is a very thin skin on terminal vim, especially for the main
> > text area.  Your video plays very quickly for me, I have to play it
> > at half speed to notice anything.
> >
> > I suggest you try a vim GTK2 version.  I've fired up a GTK3 vim here
> >  and it seems a little slower, but nothing worth your complaint.
> > AFAIK GTK3 adds nothing to vim, though some theming might work
> > differently.
> >
> > You might try changing the font, or some graphics setting of your
> > set-up, like the rendering backend your compositor uses. You didn't
> > mention your DE, that is Gnome, KDE, XFCE, et cetera.
> I've mentioned it. My DE is i3, i3wm.org.
>
> > Conceivably another DE might drive your hardware better.
> >
> > If your eyes are hurting, and you normally use white or light
> > backgrounds, IMO dark backgrounds (preferably black for text) are far
> > easier on the eyes.
> >
> > To make progress on what's actually going on you'd have to start
> > profiling vim, a lot of work with little prospect of achieving
> > anything.
> >
> > Regards, John Little
> >

> I see, thanks for your feedback, John.
After a small test, I can confirm this behavior. Arch Linux, I3 WM no compositor. :registers scrolling up line by line. Not very slow, but I noticed it.

On 19.10.2018 20:18, Oliver Knodel wrote:
> After a small test, I can confirm this behavior. Arch Linux, I3 WM no
> compositor. :registers scrolling up line by line. Not very slow, but
> I noticed it.
Thanks for taking time to confirm this. I haven't got around to checking
how other OSes/DEs behave. I was sure it wouldn't be an
environment-specific behaviour.

Hopefully someone can shred some light on why this is happening, and
also why it doesn't happen for :messages, and finally how to remove this
animation.