gvim incorrect window pos/sizes

Woody Wu
Hi, List

Not sure it's a gvim problem or fluxbox.  I start gvim from fluxbox
menuitem 'run', then I get a very big gvim window on the virtual screen.
It's title bar locates far outside of the screen, so I cannot click it
an resize it.

Does anyone have a clue? Thanks!

--
woody
I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then.

Re: gvim incorrect window pos/sizes

Tim Chase
> Not sure it's a gvim problem or fluxbox.  I start gvim from
> fluxbox menuitem 'run', then I get a very big gvim window on the
> virtual screen. It's title bar locates far outside of the screen,
> so I cannot click it an resize it.
>
> Does anyone have a clue? Thanks!

It sounds like your ~/.fluxbox/apps file might contain the stored
dimensions of gvim and is restoring them on startup.  If so, you
should be able to remove the corresponding setting lines and use
Fluxbox->Reconfigure (I don't remember exactly where that Fluxbox
menu option is stored by default since I've rejiggered my own menu)

Alternatively, you might have some sort of :winpos command in your
(g)vimrc file that is moving the window to someplace you don't want.

As an aside, I have the following in my ~/.fluxbox/keys file that
allow me to slam a window to the corresponding top/bottom/left/right
side of the screen:

 Mod4 Left :MoveTo 0 *
 Mod4 Right :MoveTo 0 * Right
 Mod4 Up :MoveTo * 0
 Mod4 Down :MoveTo * 0 Bottom

so I just use the Win+{left/right/top/bottom} key and it
automatically pulls the corresponding side to where I want it.  I
can then use Win+rightdrag to resize the window by clicking anywhere
inside it (your configuration might use Alt+rightdrag to do the
dragging).  You might also be able to use Win/Alt+leftdrag to move
the window if that's easier.  I know Fluxbox can also be configured
to remember various window-settings, so you might want to change
those (right-click on the item in the toolbar and change what is
under the "Remember" menu for the application).

On 2012-12-09, Tim Chase <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Not sure it's a gvim problem or fluxbox.  I start gvim from
>> fluxbox menuitem 'run', then I get a very big gvim window on the
>> virtual screen. It's title bar locates far outside of the screen,
>> so I cannot click it an resize it.
>>
>> Does anyone have a clue? Thanks!
>
> It sounds like your ~/.fluxbox/apps file might contain the stored
> dimensions of gvim and is restoring them on startup.  If so, you
> should be able to remove the corresponding setting lines and use
> Fluxbox->Reconfigure (I don't remember exactly where that Fluxbox
> menu option is stored by default since I've rejiggered my own menu)

I removed gvim info from the ~/.fluxbox/apps, but the strange behavior
keeps same.

> Alternatively, you might have some sort of :winpos command in your
> (g)vimrc file that is moving the window to someplace you don't want.

I removed everything from my .(g)vimrc and .vim directory, then I found
the behavior is caused by a single line:

    set guifont=Bitstream\ Vera\ Sans\ Mono\ 11

That means, if I changed the font from my rc file, the gvim window will
become very large and I cannot even find its title bar to move it. But
the strange behavior won't happen if I start gvim from kconsole or rxvt.

I think this is a gvim problem, right?

> As an aside, I have the following in my ~/.fluxbox/keys file that
> allow me to slam a window to the corresponding top/bottom/left/right
> side of the screen:
>
>  Mod4 Left :MoveTo 0 *
>  Mod4 Right :MoveTo 0 * Right
>  Mod4 Up :MoveTo * 0
>  Mod4 Down :MoveTo * 0 Bottom

Thanks for this.  But when I doing this in my .fluxbox/keys, things
broken. When I pressed the Win key + Left, my window simply disappeared
and I cannot find out where it is.  What I can do then, is to kill it
from command line.

--
woody
I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then.

Re: gvim incorrect window pos/sizes

Roland Puntaier
Hi

I didn't follow you problem from the beginning, but scanning through
this mail
I thought to give you the heads up about Patch 7.3.717, which relates to
font /window size.
If your vim is before that (:version), then give 7.3.717+ a try.

Regard, Roland

On 2012-12-11, Roland Puntaier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I didn't follow you problem from the beginning, but scanning through
> this mail
> I thought to give you the heads up about Patch 7.3.717, which relates to
> font /window size.
> If your vim is before that (:version), then give 7.3.717+ a try.
>
> Regard, Roland

Many thansk for the info.  Now my vim is 7.3.645.  I will try the new
version as you suggested.