gvim segmentation fault

luke-44
Hi.

I recently started using gvim instead of vim for editing large numbers of files
in one vim window. I'm using minibufexpl.vim.
The advantage of gvim over commandline vim is that I can click on a file displayed
along the top of the window by 'minibufexpl.vim' instead of having to ':bn' or ':bp'
traverse through them (that's a great advantage if you have 20 or so files
open :-).

However when using gvim I wanted to open a second copy and have 2 gvims running.
This caused a segmentation fault and after I closed the first gvim I could not
open gvim at all any more. I had to reinstall it! I am using gtkrc-2.0.

- is there a way to use command line vim so that I can click on the filenames as
  explained above?
- is there a way to use 2 copies of gvim without having the above problem?
- if gtkrc-2.0 is the problem, is it possible to start gvim without gtk?

Thanks.
Kind regards.
Luke.

--
............._..
.|  .| |.|/.|_ .
.|__.|_|.|\.|_ .
:61 421 276 282:

Re: gvim segmentation fault

A.J.Mechelynck
> I recently started using gvim instead of vim for editing large numbers of
> files
> in one vim window. I'm using minibufexpl.vim.
> The advantage of gvim over commandline vim is that I can click on a file
> displayed
> along the top of the window by 'minibufexpl.vim' instead of having to
> ':bn' or ':bp'
> traverse through them (that's a great advantage if you have 20 or so files
> open :-).
>
> However when using gvim I wanted to open a second copy and have 2 gvims
> running.
> This caused a segmentation fault and after I closed the first gvim I could
> not
> open gvim at all any more. I had to reinstall it! I am using gtkrc-2.0.
>
> - is there a way to use command line vim so that I can click on the
> filenames as
>  explained above?
> - is there a way to use 2 copies of gvim without having the above problem?
> - if gtkrc-2.0 is the problem, is it possible to start gvim without gtk?
>
> Thanks.
> Kind regards.
> Luke.
>
> --
> ............._..
> .|  .| |.|/.|_ .
> .|__.|_|.|\.|_ .
> :61 421 276 282:

    - The ":ls" command may help you. It doesn't allow you to click, but,
with the listing displayed, you can enter for instance ":buffer 37" (using
the numbers displayed alongside the buffers' filenames). Those same numbers
can be used with other commands e.g. :sbuffer, :bdelete, :bwipeout, etc.
    - I have used up to 3 parallel copies of gvim with no problems
whatsoever. However it's in Windows and without minibufexplorer.
    - What version of gvim are you using? (The first 4 lines of the listing
produced by the ":version" command should tell you.) Depending on when it
was compiled, installing a more recent version might (or might not) make the
problem disappear.

Re: gvim segmentation fault

Suresh Govindachar`
 Tony Mechelynck Sent on 28 Aug 2005 03:54:32 +0200:
  <[hidden email]> Sent: August 28, 2005 2:10 AM

>> I recently started using gvim instead of vim for editing large
>> numbers of files in one vim window. I'm using minibufexpl.vim.
>> The advantage of gvim over commandline vim is that I can click on
>> a file displayed along the top of the window by 'minibufexpl.vim'
>> instead of having to ':bn' or ':bp' traverse through them (that's
>> a great advantage if you have 20 or so files open :-).
>>
>> However when using gvim I wanted to open a second copy and have 2
>> gvims running.  This caused a segmentation fault and after I
>> closed the first gvim I could not open gvim at all any more. I
>> had to reinstall it! I am using gtkrc-2.0.
>>
>> - is there a way to use command line vim so that I can click on
>>   the filenames as explained above?
>> - is there a way to use 2 copies of gvim without having the above
>>   problem?
>> - if gtkrc-2.0 is the problem, is it possible to start gvim
>>   without gtk?
>>

>   - The ":ls" command may help you. It doesn't allow you to
>     click, but, with the listing displayed, you can enter for
>     instance ":buffer 37" (using the numbers displayed alongside
>     the buffers' filenames). Those same numbers can be used with
>     other commands e.g. :sbuffer, :bdelete, :bwipeout, etc.

      Instead of the buffer's number, one can also use a _fragment_
      of the buffer's name!  ("Fragment" meaning _any_ substring of
      the buffer's name.)  This always works when the fragment is
      unique meaning it is the fragment of one and only one buffer
      name.  _Sometimes_, when the fragment is not unique, hitting
      tab results in cycling through all buffers whose name contains
      that fragment.  I say "sometimes" because there are times when
      hitting tab doesn't present a choice of buffers.  (I have not
      yet taken time to figure out under what conditions tab works
      and doesn't work to provide a choice of buffers.)