gvim visual mode very slow, even with -u NONE

gvim visual mode very slow, even with -u NONE

John Z.
Hi all,
    I am having problems with graphical vim since not too long ago;
    terminal version works as great as always.

    The problem is that it became very choppy - there's about 500ms-1s
    lag between any keypress and reaction. Keypresses are queued, so if
    I rapidly type, they're executed in sequence, slowly.

    I am running archlinux with xmonad wm. Most of my apps run inside
    urxvt, with browser (palemoon) and gvim being the only graphical
    apps.
    I am running the compositor (compton), but killing it changed
    nothing.
    The hardware is nothing spectacular, 4y old laptop.

    What follows is list of things I tried before posting here:

    * updating my system, rebooting. No change.
    * vim -g -u NONE -U NONE. No change.
    * killing all other apps. No change.
    * comparing vim vs. vim -g. Terminal version runs normally.
    * strace $(pidof gvim). A gigazillion of failed recvmsg calls and
      few istats. I assumed this is normal behavior because it happens
      in terminal version too.
    * research on open issues: stackoverflow, stackexchange, vim wiki.
      Followed advice on changing fonts, didn't help. I don't use cursor
      lines and columns.
    * asked on #vim on Freenode. Got told to try with -u NONE, and try
      disabling compositor. Didn't help.
    * ldd vim to check which libs are used, went to check libpango and
      libcairo bug trackers for potential issues. Didn't find anything.

    I am not sure what is causing the issue. I found an advice to try
    alternative builds of gvim (using Athena), but before going down
    that road I'd like to try and see if I can fix this, especially
    because it might be affecting other parts of my system too - its
    just that the only symptom I see is in gvim.

    I don't know what else might be relevant. If there's anything,
    please ask.

    Sincerely,

P.S. I'm sending this mail second time, first time being yesterday; I
     haven't seen the first one pop up, but if it did and I'm spamming,
     I'm real sorry, its not out of malice, but ignorance.

--
"That gum you like is going to come back in style."