gvim, win, cygwin, rxvt?

pb-2
hi
I installed gvim from Antoine.Mechelynck, latest, and I'm using Cygwin to
start gvim with shell function. Problem is when I want to execute shell
command, it gets executed with both bash shell and dos box.
Actually gvim passes for ex.
C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM /c d2u xsevzip.log

It gets executed, I get empty dos box, and in bash I get "Hit any key to
close this window" (with all the other program output...).

Just now I see it's because I'm using rxvt as a terminal...
When I start cygwin in dosbox it's all normal as it should be (dos box with
program output shows ... ).

How can I solve this?
Thanks

Re: gvim, win, cygwin, rxvt?

John (Eljay) Love-Jensen
Hi pb,

I don't know if this will solve your  problem or not, but it is worth a try...

How are you launching bash?  Open up the properties on your Cygwin Bash shortcut.

Does the target say something like this...
TARGET:
C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --login -i
START IN:
C:\cygwin\bin

Or is your target launching a COMMAND.COM (or CMD.COM) batch file?

HTH,
--Eljay

Re: gvim, win, cygwin, rxvt?

pb-2
> Does the target say something like this...
> TARGET:
> C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --login -i
> START IN:
> C:\cygwin\bin

The thing is that I need to login from rxvt... so it's calling bat file with
this:
@echo off
C:
chdir \cygwin\bin
rxvt -sr -geometry 80x25+50+50 -sl 200 -fg white -bg +black -fn fixedsys -fb
fixedsys -tn cygwin -e /bin/bash --+login -i

And it seems that last command won't fit in shortcut :)

Re: gvim, win, cygwin, rxvt?

George Allan
On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 04:03:43AM +0200, pb wrote:
> > Does the target say something like this...
> > TARGET:
> > C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --login -i
> > START IN:
> > C:\cygwin\bin
>
> The thing is that I need to login from rxvt... so it's calling bat file with
> [...]
> And it seems that last command won't fit in shortcut :)

Dear Lord, you don't need any .BAT files.  Put your settings in an
~/.Xdefaults file where they belong and move on from there.  Add
Cygwin's 'bin' directory to your path if it isn't already and launch
rxvt (rxvt -e bash -il) from wherever/however you want. Vim is started
from bash.

Note that using Windows shortcuts (if placed somewhere in your path)
will alleviate 'cross-platform' issues (using 'cygstart myshortcut') by
enabling you to run programs from either the command-line or WINKEY-R,
etc.  Symlinks work similarly and are often preferable.

Note also you can use the 'run' utility (/usr/X11R6/bin/run) to start
any console-based application and prevent a cmd.exe/cmd.com window
flashing on your screen.  Cygstart, I believe, also has some similar
functionality.

!=========================================================================
! ~/.Xdefaults example
!-------------------------------------------------------------------------

!*title:                  "rxvt"
*scrollBar:               false
*path:                    /home
*font:                    "andale mono-14"
*geometry:                86x34+27+58
*saveLines:               5000
*internalBorder:          12
*mouseWheelScrollPage:    false
*pointerBlank:            true
*tabs:                    -4

!========================================================================
! Colours Section
! Unless you're colourblind, be sure to define custom colours to
! something suitable.
! --------------------------------------------------------------
! *color0   black
! *color1   red
! *color2   green
! *color3   yellow
! *color4   blue
! *color5   magenta
! *color6   cyan
! *color7   white
! *color8   black
! *color9   red
! *color10  green
! *color11  yellow
! *color12  blue
! *color13  magenta
! *color14  cyan
! *color15  white
!
! *reverseVideo:
! *foreground:
! *background:
! *colorBD:
! *colorUL:
! *cursorColor:
! *cursorColor2:
! *colorRV:
!
! ...

Re: gvim, win, cygwin, rxvt?

pb-2
Thanks for the tips George...

But problem is still there ... I will try to explain things better:
1) I run win version of gvim from cygwin shell and rxvt as a terminal ...
2) when gvim passes :! command it passes it as
"C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM /c dir" to the cygwin shell
3) this comamnd opens dos box (empty) and all the output is in cygwin's
shell (or terminal whatever)
4) I have to press any key to close dos box and CTRL - C to continue work in
cygwin ...
5) problem doesn't exist if you run cygwin with dos box as terminal ... I
guess its rxvt issue?

Thanks for help... bye