gvim8.1 on ubuntu

Robert Solomon
I cloned the github source and compiled vim 8.1.  That went smoothly.

How do I get gvim 8.1 on Ubuntu?

Thx

Rob

Re: gvim8.1 on ubuntu

Christian Brabandt

On Fr, 20 Jul 2018, Robert Solomon wrote:

> I cloned the github source and compiled vim 8.1.  That went smoothly.
>
> How do I get gvim 8.1 on Ubuntu?

Search for current launchpad packages. I quick google search returned
https://launchpad.net/~jonathonf/+archive/ubuntu/vim

Best,
Christian
--
Möchten Sie Ihre Festplatten formatieren?
  [J]etzt nicht

Re: gvim8.1 on ubuntu

John Little-4
On Friday, July 20, 2018 at 11:48:12 PM UTC+12, Robert Solomon wrote:
> I cloned the github source and compiled vim 8.1.  That went smoothly.
>
> How do I get gvim 8.1 on Ubuntu?

I'm not sure I understand your question, and I take it differently to Christian Brabandt.

If your newly built vim does not have a GUI, as shown by :ver, or vim --version, then configure didn't find the needed GUI headers and libraries, and

    sudo apt-get build-dep vim-gtk

will get what you need, assuming your Ubuntu version is still in support. (14.04, 16.04, 17.10, 18.04).  Then

    make reconfig

will rerun configure, and it should find the GUI, these days that's the default.

If your :ver output shows a GUI (mine straight from git master says "Huge version with GTK2 GUI") then you have gvim; on *n?x the same executable is used for gvim.  Run it with

    vim -g

or use the :gui command to confirm this.

Either way,

   sudo make install

makes /usr/local/bin/gvim a link to vim, to completely answer your question.

Regards, John Little