had trouble getting matchit support working

had trouble getting matchit support working

Sam Roberts-2
I think its working now, but it took a little while, about 10 times
longer than getting vim-ruby from cvs and running the install script. I
didn't find the FAQ very clear, can I suggest:

 See |matchit-install| for instructions on installing "matchit", which will
 allow you to use |%| to bounce between Ruby keywords (class, def, while, ...)
-and their respective "end" keywords.
+and their respective "end" keywords. After installing "matchit", you need
+to provide support for it to work with Ruby. You may find this file to work
+when copied to ~/.vim/ftplugin/ruby_matchit.vim:
+
+  http://bike-nomad.com/vim/ruby.vim
+
+I had less success with:
+
+  http://rubystuff.org/vim/ruby_matchit.vim

The rubystuff.org file dumped errors to my console when I used "%".

The bike-nomad one seems to define a number of things unrelated to matchit.

I'd sure be happy if the support was merged with vim-ruby for the next
release.

Thanks,
Sam

Re: had trouble getting matchit support working

Doug Kearns
G'day Sam,

On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 02:37:34PM -0800, Sam Roberts wrote:
> I think its working now, but it took a little while, about 10 times
> longer than getting vim-ruby from cvs and running the install script.

<snip>

> I'd sure be happy if the support was merged with vim-ruby for the next
> release.

This was merged several years ago so all you should need to do is
configure the general matchit plugin. I gather this didn't work?

Regards,
Doug

Re: had trouble getting matchit support working

Sam Roberts-2
Quoting [hidden email], on Sun, Mar 26, 2006 at 08:34:39PM +1100:
> > I'd sure be happy if the support was merged with vim-ruby for the next
> > release.
>
> This was merged several years ago so all you should need to do is
> configure the general matchit plugin. I gather this didn't work?

Hm, well, yes, I guess it does. Quite nicely.

Thanks!

I guess I started down the wrong path when I installed with
vim-ruby-config. I looked at matchit-install, but it lead to a section
called "Adding a help file", which seemed wholly irrelevant to me,
though now I understand why the FAQ points there.

When I read the FAQ, and it said matching should work, I looked at the
wiki and tried to follow its advice, and from there I was completely off
track...