hangulinput option with UTF-8 locale

Kiwon Um

Hello there.

Because of some problems with XIM, I checked the hangulinput option.
But it doesn't seem to work well with UTF-8 locale.
Is there anyway to use this option with UTF-8 locale without changing
it to EUC-KR?

Thanks.

Re: hangulinput option with UTF-8 locale

Tony Mechelynck

On 19/06/08 06:34, Kiwon Um wrote:
> Hello there.
>
> Because of some problems with XIM, I checked the hangulinput option.
> But it doesn't seem to work well with UTF-8 locale.
> Is there anyway to use this option with UTF-8 locale without changing
> it to EUC-KR?
>
> Thanks.

I don't understand ":help hangulin.txt" very well. For instance, I still
don't understand what "2 bulsik" and "3 bulsik" refer to.

AFAICT (comparing that helpfile with what is said in mbyte.txt),
+hangul_input requires euc-kr, "korea" or maybe cp949 input, and it
seems that the module author is not going to add new features. Anyway,
as (IIUC) +hangul_input is not compatible with +gui_gtk2 (maybe because
the latter uses exclusively UTF-8 when running in GUI mode), I cannot
test it.

Maybe you can try another XIM flavour (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_input_methods_for_UNIX_platforms )?
Or another mode of operation? Note that of the four possible modes,
On-the-Spot is _not_ supported by gvim (see ":help xim-input-style").

12. You turn off your modem and get this awful empty feeling, like you just
     pulled the plug on a loved one.

Re: hangulinput option with UTF-8 locale

Kiwon Um

Thanks for your answer.

On 6월20일, 오전1시25분, Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 19/06/08 06:34,KiwonUm wrote:
>
> > Hello there.
>
> > Because of some problems with XIM, I checked the hangulinput option.
> > But it doesn't seem to work well with UTF-8 locale.
> > Is there anyway to use this option with UTF-8 locale without changing
> > it to EUC-KR?
>
> > Thanks.
>
> I don't understand ":help hangulin.txt" very well. For instance, I still
> don't understand what "2 bulsik" and "3 bulsik" refer to.

That's about how the Korean keys are aligned on the keyboard.
Generally, almost all Korean, except some special(?) guys, uses 2
bulsik keyboard now. :)

> AFAICT (comparing that helpfile with what is said in mbyte.txt),
> +hangul_input requires euc-kr, "korea" or maybe cp949 input, and it
> seems that the module author is not going to add new features. Anyway,
> as (IIUC) +hangul_input is not compatible with +gui_gtk2 (maybe because
> the latter uses exclusively UTF-8 when running in GUI mode), I cannot
> test it.

Unfortunate fact.... only euc-kr.. I wondered if there is any way to
support utf-8 locale.

> Maybe you can try another XIM flavour (seehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_input_methods_for_UNIX_platforms)?
> Or another mode of operation? Note that of the four possible modes,
> On-the-Spot is _not_ supported by gvim (see ":help xim-input-style").

Actually my problem was from latex-vim with scim, not between vim and
scim. I reported this issue into vim_use.
Thanks again.

Best regards,
Kiwon Um.