:hardcopy utf-8 file in vim 7.00a

Lukas Muehlethaler
before I try any harder: Is :ha[rdcopy] of utf-8 encoded files on Mac
OS X supposed to work? Looked through the archives but didn't find
anything recent.

On CVS Vim 7.00a (Oct 13, 2005) with set enc=utf-8 and set penc=utf-8
it doesn't.

Thanks for any help!

Lukas

Re: :hardcopy utf-8 file in vim 7.00a

Jussi Hagman

On 19.10.2005, at 18:21, Lukas Muehlethaler wrote:

> before I try any harder: Is :ha[rdcopy] of utf-8 encoded files on
> Mac OS X supposed to work? Looked through the archives but didn't
> find anything recent.

I can tell that it is not working for me either. I don't know if it
should be working at the moment. The error message is "E673:
Incompatible multi-byte encoding and character set.".

The problem seems not to be in mac-specific part of vim code.

Greetings,
Jussi

--
Jussi Hagman, [hidden email], iChat/AIM: jussihagman, ICQ: 54004113

Re: :hardcopy utf-8 file in vim 7.00a

Mike Williams
Jussi Hagman did utter on 26/10/2005 03:25:

> On 19.10.2005, at 18:21, Lukas Muehlethaler wrote:
>
>> before I try any harder: Is :ha[rdcopy] of utf-8 encoded files on  Mac
>> OS X supposed to work? Looked through the archives but didn't  find
>> anything recent.
>

> I can tell that it is not working for me either. I don't know if it
> should be working at the moment. The error message is "E673:
> Incompatible multi-byte encoding and character set.".
>
> The problem seems not to be in mac-specific part of vim code.

This is the rply I sent to the vim mailing list:

penc should be set for a specific character set, not encoding.  Except
for CJK character sets where encoding is significant.  Hopefully the VIM
7 docs includes the right words about this.  hardcopy does not support
multiple character sets in a single print at the moment IIRC.

HTH

Mike
Is a cow that does not give milk an udder failure?

Re: :hardcopy utf-8 file in vim 7.00a

Lukas Muehlethaler
thanks for the correction; penc shouldn't be set to utf-8 of course, it
shouldn't be set at all. The problem remains that Vim 7 (compiled with
multibyte) produces an E673 when asked to print an utf-8 file with
regular text (the file contains the sentence "The quick brown fox
jumped over the lazy dogs"); Vim 6.4 (compiled with multibyte) prints
the same file. On the other hand, Vim 7 properly displays characters
like capital H with a dot below (7716/U+1E24); in Vim 6.4 the same
character appears as an inverted question mark.

On Oct 26, 2005, at 6:31 AM, Mike Williams wrote:

> Jussi Hagman did utter on 26/10/2005 03:25:
>> On 19.10.2005, at 18:21, Lukas Muehlethaler wrote:
>>> before I try any harder: Is :ha[rdcopy] of utf-8 encoded files on
>>> Mac OS X supposed to work? Looked through the archives but didn't
>>> find anything recent.
>> I can tell that it is not working for me either. I don't know if it
>> should be working at the moment. The error message is "E673:
>> Incompatible multi-byte encoding and character set.".
>> The problem seems not to be in mac-specific part of vim code.
>
> This is the rply I sent to the vim mailing list:
>
> penc should be set for a specific character set, not encoding.  Except
> for CJK character sets where encoding is significant.  Hopefully the
> VIM 7 docs includes the right words about this.  hardcopy does not
> support multiple character sets in a single print at the moment IIRC.
>
> HTH
>
> Mike
> --
> Is a cow that does not give milk an udder failure?

Re: :hardcopy utf-8 file in vim 7.00a

Mike Williams
Lukas Muehlethaler did utter on 26/10/2005 13:24:
> thanks for the correction; penc shouldn't be set to utf-8 of course, it
> shouldn't be set at all. The problem remains that Vim 7 (compiled with
> multibyte) produces an E673 when asked to print an utf-8 file with
> regular text (the file contains the sentence "The quick brown fox jumped
> over the lazy dogs"); Vim 6.4 (compiled with multibyte) prints the same
> file. On the other hand, Vim 7 properly displays characters like capital
> H with a dot below (7716/U+1E24); in Vim 6.4 the same character appears
> as an inverted question mark.

IIRC 6.4 defaults to latin1 character set and any character not in this
set is replaced with the inverted question mark.

vim7 is work in progress and it sounds like there have been changes to
try and automate character set selection when printing.  I can't comment
on that as I haven't had time to track recent vim development.

Quick to judge, quick to anger... slow to understand.

Re: :hardcopy utf-8 file in vim 7.00a

Lukas Muehlethaler
in the meanwhile:

nmap :ha :!open -a TextEdit % <CR>

:o)

I'm sure that with a little (apple)script (which I don't know how to
write) one could map :ha to print directly through TextEdit...